Question about engineered wood flooring.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, i am at the stage now of choosing the floor coverings for downstairs, after much deliberation we have decided to go down the road of a laminate type floor or timber.

As i dont like the fake printed look of laminate, we are looking to use either engineered or solid oak flooring. We are planning to use the flooring in the dinning room kitchen and lounge.

Having looked at engineered flooring in b and q i am quite happy with the look and appearance of the product and it is reasonably priced at £20 a square metre. Does any one have any thoughts on this product is it any good, has anyone used it before.

I am laying the floor on a traditional floorbaorded base and then on newly installed and dpm'd concrete sub floors. What is th best underlay to use on these different surfaces?

Any help would be much appreciated.

andy

Sponsored Links
B&Q = you get what you pay for.
Have seen them sample boards, no thank you. But of course, I'm very biased ;)
On concrete underfloors (even that have DPM underneath them ) you need to install a DPM and sound-insulation underlayment to prevent any residue moist from the concrete getting into the wood

Make sure you see a laid sample, and consider the wear.

I ended up talking myself into getting solid maple for £40 per sq m. Now it's down, I absolutely love the way it looks, and think it was well worth the extra cash.

WoodYouLike said:
B&Q = you get what you pay for.
Have seen them sample boards, no thank you. But of course, I'm very biased ;)
On concrete underfloors (even that have DPM underneath them ) you need to install a DPM and sound-insulation underlayment to prevent any residue moist from the concrete getting into the wood

Thanks for that, but surely it cant be that bad?.

Jwilliams, i cant see how an engineered floor would wear more than a solid floor? I believe that the wood on the engineered floor is around 5-8 mm thick. I wthink it would take a long time to wear this down?

Andy

Sponsored Links
andymarshal said:

Jwilliams, i cant see how an engineered floor would wear more than a solid floor? I believe that the wood on the engineered floor is around 5-8 mm thick. I wthink it would take a long time to wear this down?
Sorry to disappoint you, but B&Q's boards of that price definitely don't have 5 - 8 mm solid top layer.
On the other hand you are right: proper wood-engineered boards are as 'wearable' as solid floors and in some areas even preferred over solids (conservatories, kitchens etc).

WoodYouLike said:
andymarshal said:

Sorry to disappoint you, but B&Q's boards of that price definitely don't have 5 - 8 mm solid top layer.
On the other hand you are right: proper wood-engineered boards are as 'wearable' as solid floors and in some areas even preferred over solids (conservatories, kitchens etc).

Ok mate maybe i got over excited and maybe its 3-4 mm on those boards, but it would still take a lifetime to wear this off surely?

I am a huge fan of solid oak but in some cases timber is not the best way to do things, ie a kitchen cabinet is more stable made from mfc than a solid timber, im sure this applies to flooring, which is maybe why engineered flooring exists, its probably easier to lay, more stable etc and people would struggle to notice the difference.

So is this flooring ok, i know you are biased but what are its specific problems?

Also what underlay should i use when laying on wooden floorbaords.

Thanks

Andy

andymarshal said:
WoodYouLike said:

which is maybe why engineered flooring exists, its probably easier to lay, more stable etc and people would struggle to notice the difference.

So is this flooring ok, i know you are biased but what are its specific problems?

You're right (on most accounts). I am biased on B&Q (lack of proper information they give you), definitely not on wood-engineered flooring, most of the floors we sell ar engineered (from 3.5 to 6mm top layer, the latter we sell the most). The wear, on quality boards, is exactly the same as with solid boards.

On wooden floorboards you use a foam underlayment (2 - 3 mm) NOT a DPM. But if I understand correctly the flooring goes down in one area that has both existing floorboards AND concrete?

If so you must make sure the underfloor is of one type: lay hardboard sheets on DPM on concrete otherwise you're asking for trouble

WoodYouLike said:
andymarshal said:
WoodYouLike said:

which is maybe why engineered flooring exists, its probably easier to lay, more stable etc and people would struggle to notice the difference.

You're right (on most accounts). I am biased on B&Q (lack of proper information they give you), definitely not on wood-engineered flooring, most of the floors we sell ar engineered (from 3.5 to 6mm top layer, the latter we sell the most). The wear, on quality boards, is exactly the same as with solid boards.

On wooden floorboards you use a foam underlayment (2 - 3 mm) NOT a DPM. But if I understand correctly the flooring goes down in one area that has both existing floorboards AND concrete?

If so you must make sure the underfloor is of one type: lay hardboard sheets on DPM on concrete otherwise you're asking for trouble

Hi mate, one room is traditional floorbaords, the other 2 are brand new concrete floors.

I checked out the flooring todya and the qood layer is at least 3-5 mm

Cheers

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back