Quick advice ... pipe size & type for pond filter ... ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry - very last minute, but my builders are installing final steps up to the house tomorrow, and I've got to install pipework to enable the pond next to the steps to be filtered properly. As in picture below ... pond will be one side of steps, filter the other. I'm guessing the pipes will run underneath 2nd tread down. Pond is 400mm deep ... so should the pipes enter it half way up ... or right at the bottom ... or does it not really matter? But got ZERO idea what is needed here ... 15mm? 22mm? Anyone with experience of this kind of thing I would love to hear from - much appreciated. Also ... will it need any protection against frost etc. do you think?

Any other top tips very gratefully received. We just want a very still, dark body of water ... will probably fibreglass the base etc.

Thanks all - need to scoot off to Travis Perkins first thing! Don't want to have to dig the steps up later etc.

EDIT: sorry - should have pointed out if not clear ... pond is about 5,100 litres of water (about 7.15m x 1.78m x 0.4m) Will this mean a wider diameter pipe I wonder?

Sponsored Links
Thanks ... but I love this board ... so helpful + I have all the pictures etc. in one place.

Almost figuring this one out myself .... it appears that most pump/filter combinations have stepped inlets & outlets ... so by looking at a random selection it seems we will be ok if we install 2 x 25mm pipes under the steps. Or am I missing something? Is it easier to clean (and less strain on the filter) if you use 40mm pipes?

No idea how the fibreglass will ultimately 'seal' around the two pipes on the pond side, but hopefully that can be resolved at a later date!

I think you need to choose your pump first, and see what it's requirements are, but 25mm MDPE buried beneath the steps should be ok.
I would certainly consider leakage from both chambers too....I guess you need the pipes completely hidden from view?
John :)

Sponsored Links
Yes .. pipes to be hidden from view.

Slight worry to see so many pond diagrams with the pipes appearing from the very bottom ... not an option for us now that the concrete base and concrete block walls are already in place.

Anyway ... now even questioning whether we need filter/pump at all! The only role this water has is to be still & reflective! No plants ... no fish ... and it is on the north side of the house, so pretty much permanently in the shade. So perhaps just a tab of something cleansing every now and then would be enough!?

It'll certainly cover with algae in time, and probably attract the odd passing frog too.....there may be chemicals you can add to prevent this, I guess.
If that's all you want to do, I'd scrap the pump idea.
John :)

I have a similar pond which is purely a reflecting pool. Its smaller at only 1000l but i didn't bother with a pump or filter.

I have black dyofix in it which helps reduce the algae and also improve reflections.

Its only been in 8 months though so can't really comment whether it needed a pump or not.

I did leave 2 pipes out though for one should it be required. The fibre glass will cover most sins so don't worry too much about the detailing, just try and get them coming out straightish.

Don't worry about a bottom drain, it makes it easier if you need to drain the pond but its not essential.

As said if there will be no plants or fish control with chemicals is easy enough

r896neo ... THANK YOU!

Black Dyofix is something I had never heard of and sounds absolutely perfect.

Had some 25mm pipe kicking around, so will make provision just in case, but it does increasingly sound like we will get away without the hassle of electric gubbins ...

Most importnat thing is to keep stuff out of it, leaves etc especially.

Also you may need filtration if it is in full sun.

No trees anywhere near it ... plus it lies under the north elevation of our house ... only a tiny bit of late afternoon sun, if any at all.

So anyway - did put two x 25mm pipes under the steps which are all done ... but I seriously doubt we will be using them! Thanks again for your black dye tip ... JUST what we need ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back