Quick Question (Lighting Switches)

R

ryanj

Just a quick question..

I know it is nessecary to tag the black wire, red in light switches..

But what about the yellow and blue wires in 2way applications? Do they need to be sheathed in red also?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
i think so
btw you shouldn't really cover the whole wire just mark it with sleeveing so it's possible to tell which wire is which going into the cable

Sponsored Links
Any cable core which does not have RED insulation that is being used to carry current should be SLEEVED in RED PVC Oversleeving, or so marked as to denoted the fact that it is a live conductor.

The more sleeving, marking tape the better, but more important is that it is done in the first place to allow proper identification.

FWL_Engineer said:
The more sleeving, marking tape the better, but more important is that it is done in the first place to allow proper identification.

If you use so much sleeving that you can't see the core colours, how do you know which is the common in a 2-way light situation?

Plugwash was right when he said that you shouldn't cover the whole wire.

FWL_Engineer said:
Any cable core which does not have RED insulation that is being used to carry current should be SLEEVED in RED PVC Oversleeving.
Blimey - my wiring is seriously adrift then - I've got dozens of black insulated cores that are being used to carry current, none of which are sleeved, or otherwise marked, in red.

:LOL:

Just to stir a bit this issue... ;)
What colour sleeve you are going to use with the new colour code? Brown? don't like it...looks like the name of this famous bear sounds... :oops:
Albert

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back