Quicky (I hope) - Two Way Three Way Minefield

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Landing lights. Switchable from downstairs and/or upstairs.
Upstairs = single switch.

Hall lights. Switchable from several locations downstairs.
Downstairs = Single panel with 1 switch for Landing lights and one for Hall lights (i.e. double switch).

I want a dimmer on (at least) the Landing light to be dimmable from upstairs (and if possible downstairs too).

Anyone help wme with what I need to buy?

If it matters, both landing and hall have several lights each (i.e. not just a single 60W bulb to deal with).

Sponsored Links
TonyWig said:
Anyone help wme with what I need to buy?

dimmer switch

i would seriously consider what you are thinking of doing, you want to dim a lamp which lights your stairs (probably) its not a good idea.

if you really want to do it, you will needa dimmer for each (double are available, but to be able to dim from one and brighten from other it will require master / slave dimmers (tlc do them) how ever it does depend on how your wiring is at the moment as to if they will work. Also most who get them have problems, i also belive there was a post which said in the uk we only get the cheap ones (or similar)

Thanks for the response.
Doesn't look like you think it is a very good idea either way.
Is it one of those jobs I shouldn't try unless I am a qualified electrician (as opposed to what I am which is a willing-to-learn DIYer).

breezer said:
Also most who get them have problems, i also belive there was a post which said in the uk we only get the cheap ones (or similar)
Typical.

OK people - any suggestions for a source of master/slave dimmers, pref remote control, that aren't cr*p, even if they cost more? Please note I do not want to get into all that X10 home automation malarkey - I have eyes and fingers, and an excellent feedback loop between the two.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back