Quiet bathroom fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone advise on what types or makes of bathroom extractor fans are quietest? I am prepared to pay more if something is quieter. I can go through the wall or up into the loft and out the end wall of the house.?

Sponsored Links
Not sure. Get the phone numbers of mfrs and ask!

Or the dB rating will be on product lit. if you have any.

If they list a noise level in the literature at all then it is probably relatively quiet.

A rule of thumb is that a larger diameter fan will be quieter for a given flowrate as it can turn more slowly.

Sponsored Links
Well yes, partly by their nature being tucked away in a loft void.

I would certainly go with an inline unit, they are generally quieter anyway, but as Simon said, by their very nature noise will be minimised by installation method.

If you go this route, make sure you mount the fan housing on rubber feet to absord vibrations from the fan..reduces the noise even more. Rubber door stops are great for this.

With shower pumps, they stand on rubber feet and you don't bolt them to anything. Thus reducing the coupling between the vibrating bits (the fan) and anything that could act as a sounding board (the ceiling). Is this installation method suitable for in-line duct fans?

Perhaps if not, then rubber feet (as suggested) and then something elastic to hold it down (bungee cords attached to a joist? :) )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back