Quote accepted but don't want the work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, this has happened a few times over the years and I still don't know the right way (if there is one) of letting a customer down.

You price the job, they accept the quote, you're stacked out with work and you've only priced it in the first place as a mate has recommended you. Now in the past I've squeezed jobs in that under normal circumstances I'd rather not have done, as I don't want to let down the clients and more importantly the person who's recommended me.

I suppose experience should have taught me to just not even bother quoting in the first place and be upfront that I'm too busy, but then I always like to be busy. Anyway this particular situation is that someone gave the client my name - I told them I was too busy to price the job, they said its only a days work - turns out to be 2 days of particularly intricate and fiddly work that I don't want to do.

Whats my moral position? and what are anyone elses thoughts on this?

Oh and I had to take my clean shoes of at the doors - doesn't bode well :eek:

Sponsored Links
Tell them a date that you can do it. If it's too far off then they have the right to go somewhere else.

I would never take my shoes/boots off at the door when I'm working, I tell them Health & Safety wouldn't allow it and my insurance won't pay out if I hurt my feet ;)

You can turn down the work even though you have quoted for it

you can legally even say "I just dont want to" when you turn it down, although this wont win you many fans

or if you are diplomatic do wot dave says or put s time limit on acceptance of say three months

then you have to requote

tell them the earliest you can possibly do the work is in 12 months time.

although....... :idea: , you know someone that will be able to do it sooner and is a good chap.

all you need to do now is find a schmuck who will take the job off your hands.

Sponsored Links
A tip I was given when I was in business on my own:

How to price an undesirable job:

Consider how much you want (or don't want) it. Calculate a price and ask yourself if you will be delighted or depressed if it's accepted. If depressed, the price is too low. Calculate it again so that you won't mind whether it's accepted or not.

(Your original calculation should take into account your normal calculations of market rate, travel, materials, time, special skills, repeat business, slow payer etc, but ask yourself the question after you've done that.)

In theory (ahem) I price up the cost of materials including VAT, mark them up 100% and add the VAT again. Put in a day rate, double it and add on 50% just in case. Then I get vague about a date and tell them they will have to bear with me.

However, in practice, they get the materials at cost (equivalent to a loss when ordering, collecting etc. is taken into account) and a day rate of £150, I tell them it will take two days, they assume a cost of £300 - it takes me three days but I don't have the heart to increase the price by 50%. AND I squeeze them into an impossible schedule at the expense of more profitable work.

I hate favour jobs, I know they're going to cost me, I know they're potentially deadly to my, and the reccommender's reputation, but I do them, hate them and promise myself that next time I'm putting my theory into practice.

Almost always they actually come off quite well, I walk away a bit of a "hero" with a warm glow from being helpful and ........ I get another one as a result.

I know I haven't provided any answers here, but you may feel a bit better knowing you're not on your own. :confused:

i suggest you be honest, any BS means they will then slag off you / your company, "bad news" travels fast.

you could be slightly diplomatic and say it was a qute because you both know xyz, but say you really are very busy and suggest they try qwe

pjholybloke, it sounds like you need a business manager to do your pricing and collections for you.

JohnD said:
pjholybloke, it sounds like you need a business manager to do your pricing and collections for you.

You're not wrong!

The problem is I never had any intention of taking on subbies, contracts, big risk business - it just sort of went organic on me and I'm still not in control, I do kind of get a kick out of buskin' it though. :eek:

I can do it for you at £500/day plus travel and accom exps.

I don't mind if you accept my quote or not :LOL:

Thanks for all your replies, glad to know I'm not alone with these issues.

Anyway will be contacting the customer to appologies that due to the current work load I will unfortunately not be able to take on the work.

At last I feel free to do what I want to do.................. :D

I have told my sales men to price work according to the amount and the quality of enquiries
If inundated with work each quote goes up 10% untill works starts to level out then that % falls back. A real rush job should be priced high and if won then -because of the margin- you won't feel too bad about the extra effort needed to fulfill it..

Cheers

Richard

As a member of the public who is far too much of a klutz to even do any DiY apart from the odd bit of painting and varnishing, I would much prefer you to phone me up and just be honest with me. That way I'd be more likely to get in touch with you in the future if I needed any other work doing. Being honest and upfront counts for a lot and many firms/individuals don't seem to realise this.

A couple of times I've had firms quote silly money because they obviously didn't want the job; I wouldn't use them again and I wouldn't recommend them either.

gas4you said:
I would never take my shoes/boots off at the door when I'm working, I tell them Health & Safety wouldn't allow it and my insurance won't pay out if I hurt my feet ;)

Shoe covers gentlemen (and ladies) - cheap as chips and save a lot of hassle...

Other option is "I'll take my shoes off, but if you think I'm pushing my wheelbarrow through the house with no tyre on you can stick your job!"

Sponsored Links
Back