Quote for Tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently gone self employed as a tiler and the work is going ok. I've got to do an estimate a kitchen floor. The customer has bought slate tiles. I'm not sire how much to charge for doing the slate. It's a bigger job than ceramic because of all the prep I have to do.

The floor is 9sq m and I also have to ply it.

Sponsored Links
Easiest to decide on a day rate then estimate how many days you think it'll take you, then add on the materials, tea and biscuits. ;)
Your day rate should be calculated taking holidays, tools, van, etc into consideration.
Don't be afraid to charge someone a full days pay even if you finish the job way before 5pm.
Good luck

My tiler always says "I'm not getting on my knees for less than £30/metre".

If he is good for the going rate (and I don't doubt that personally), I would add £20/metre for supply and fit of ply, 10% for slate (it's only the cuts the affect the price), another 10% contingency and £50 bonus if all goes well.

I'd say £545.00 - but I know nothin' about tiling apart from what my tiler tells me! :LOL: :LOL:

pjholybloke said:
10% for slate (it's only the cuts the affect the price)
An awful lot hinges on the quality of the slate tiles - if irregular of size and thickness then it's very fiddly and time-consuming getting the top surface to be both level and flat, as you need a thick bed of adhesive to stand any chance.

Sponsored Links
Softus said:
pjholybloke said:
10% for slate (it's only the cuts the affect the price)
An awful lot hinges on the quality of the slate tiles - if irregular of size and thickness then it's very fiddly and time-consuming getting the top surface to be both level and flat, as you need a thick bed of adhesive to stand any chance.

True enough, got well above my station as it happens ( :LOL: ), I have trouble stopping tiles kicking out whether they're irregular, tumbled edged, reciprocated....... slate, porcelain, marble, ceramic..... :oops:

You seen my coat?

Tarra!

Thanks for the advice guys. I went to quote the job and the first thing the customer said was his budget was £200. I told him he wouldn't get anybody to do 9m2 ceramic for that price never mind slate.

He then told me that he wanted them fitted straight set. I looked at the tiles and they weren't square or the same size. I advised him brickbond would look much better but he wasn't interested.

Quoted him £600. £55 m2 for the tiling and £105 for supplying and fitting the ply. He phoned me up and told me his mate from work "who does a bit of tiling" was going to do it for him.

I don't think he would have been good for the money anyway. Half expecting a call in a couple of weeks to go and do the job. Getting a DIY tiler to fit natural stone could be an expensive mistake

Don't forget that if he does call and ask you to sort it out the price has gone up to £1200. ;) :LOL:

Back