R1 and R2 what does it mean

S

sanj.varah

Can someone who knows tell me what R1 and R2 on a minor works cert mean? I understand the Z's and most of the other items but not R1, R2 and in some cases R3?

thanks

Sponsored Links
I think R3 is a typo?
R1 is the circuit phase conductor resistance
R2 is the circuit earth conductor resistance

I've never seen R1,R2 quoted on a minor works cert.

Sponsored Links
R1+R2 is the resistance of the phase and protective conductor within an installation, added to Ze (the external loop) it forms the Z's ie: Zs=Ze+(R1+R2)

R1 is the phase conductor, and R2 the protective conductor, Rn would be the neutral conductor but you don't often refer to it.

Not heard of R3

Adam_151 said:
Rn would be the neutral conductor but you don't often refer to it.

Only when doing a ring final test, and thats rn, but its not refered to on any of the test sheets I've seen. ;)

ricicle said:
Adam_151 said:
Rn would be the neutral conductor but you don't often refer to it.

Only when doing a ring final test, and thats rn, but its not refered to on any of the test sheets I've seen. ;)

Yeah, but surely logic would have it there should be an Rn as well, the neutral resistance from orgin to furthest point, in the same vain as R1 and R2, even if we don't often have cause to measure it*

I know what r1, r2 and rn are ;)

*maybe we ought to do a R1+Rn test though, to pick up loose neutrals, probably the reason we get neutrals burning out on shower isos more than phases... dodgy phase connections are picked up when doing R1+R2... :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back