Radial Circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a radial circuit connecting 4 sockets in my kitchen. The cable from the CU is 4mm and then there are 4 sockets connected one after the other using 2.5mm twin and earth cable. Then there is another socket which is connected as a spur from the second socket in the line also using 2.5mm cable. (I hope this makes sense)

The circuit is protected by a 20A MCB. The length of the initial 4mm cable in the circuit is about 8 metres and the next 4 sockets are connected about 1m apart.

Does this sound safe? Any help would be appreciated. I am trying to avoid calling in an electrician but will be willing to if needed.

Sponsored Links
Perfectly safe. Before you move out, you should document the fact that part of the circuit is wired in 2.5mm², lest some future occupant loads the circuit heavily, keeps tripping the breaker, and ups it to 25A on the basis of the 4mm² he can see at the CU...

So long as you don't go any higher than 20amp fuse/mcb rating it will be ok.
Think about changing the 2.5 to 4mm between the sockets, you could then change fuse/mcb to 30/32amp.

Your help is much appreciated. Am I right in thinking that as I am using an MCB rather than a fuse, if the circuit were to overload then the MCB would trip straight away before the circuit cable would overheat? Therefore in theory the cable would not cause a fire if overloaded.

Sponsored Links
An MCB will not necessarily trip immediately as the result of an overload. An MCB (roughly) has a fusing factor of 1.45. This means that a current of 1.45*20A is required to operate the MCB within 1 hour. This fusing factor is already taken into consideration by the regs in the cable selection tables, so the cable is adequate as to not overheat. If using a rewirable BS3036 fuse which has a fusing factor of 2, a de-rating factor of 0.725 needs to be applied when selecting a cable.

I have a similar circuit in my kitchen, it has 4mm from the CU to the cooker/socket combination box, then 2.5mm cable leading to a double socket then the same again to another double. the MCB in the CU is a 40A.

From what I have read in previous posts this MCB sounds very wrong!!!!!!

5 years old post you resurected there.. well done..

however back to your post..

yes it's dodgy..

the 2.5mm should be protected by nothing bigger than a 27A fuse, and that's assuming that it's clipped direct and no other de-rating factors..

if you only had one single or double socket on the 2.5mm² then it's allowable as the current would be limited to 26A max due to the fuses in the plugs..

in general a 2.5mm radial is usually on a 20A fuse or breaker..

the 4mm however really shouldn't be on the 40A breaker either since it's max capacity is 37A...

i have been looking at double socket fronts, there seems to be different kinds (single pole, double pole).

Which would I need to extend my radial round my kitchen.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back