Radial or Ring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys
I am having a kitchen extension built and would like to know if a radial socket circuit is suffice for building regs?
8 metres long 2.5mm with 4 double sockets.
Thanks
Pete

Sponsored Links
I'd change it to 4mm² & 32A breaker, depending on the load.

Damn! the cable is in place and boarded over if it comes to it I can loop back to the c/u to make it a ring is this a better method
Thanks for the speedy reply
Pete

If you have run 2.5mm² cable then assuming it is connected to a 20A MCB you are OK. Running a long return leg to create a ring circuit isn't a good alternative as one leg will be carrying the majority of the current as it was designed and installed to be a radial.

If you don't require the capacity of a 32A circuit then just leave it as it is.

Davy

Sponsored Links
A ring should be balanced so the current is roughly shared between the legs, if you wire it as a radial and then at the last minute add a return leg there is a chance it won't be balanced and one leg will be carrying more than the other.

Not a new theory, its fact. Although I should have written:

one leg may end up carrying the majority of the current in certain circumstances

How can you balance the current in a ring main when you don't know what appliances are going to be connected to it, thats the whole idea of it surely.

jj4091 said:
How can you balance the current in a ring main when you don't know what appliances are going to be connected to it, thats the whole idea of it surely.

True, but you need to make the balancing of load on each leg possible by ensuring that as close to the same number of sockets are on each leg rather than having all the sockets on one leg and then a long return leg from the furthest socket.
It is hard to gain an exact idea of loading but you have to make some assumptions.

Long live 4mm² radials!

You can't accurately balance a ring circuit but you can share the outlets between the legs so as to reduce the chance of one leg being overloaded, this obviously hasn't been done as it was intended to be a radial.

It all comes down to the fact that we can't see the layout so fitting a return leg and increasing the CPD isn't a good idea until you can be sure it will be effective and not cause any problems.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back