Radiator Bleed Valve

D

draven

Hi All.
I have a radiator bleed valuve that is stuck. I have tried everything and now it is worn and the key just goes round and round. It is also in an awkward place on the inside of a double radiator so there is only an inch or so to work in. Any ideas? Can they be replaced? If so how and where do I buy one??
Thanks

Sponsored Links
i have not had reason to buy new ones ..(i save the old one from throw awat rads)...they must sell them. have u done a net search ?

Hi JPC

Yes, I've tried searching for bleed valves and all sorts - it's how I came up with this site.

Hey JPC i read on this forum about a guy who had a gate valve that was stuck but what he did was that he heated it then tryed again i was wondarin if this guy could do the same? ;)

Sponsored Links
is the vent screw in a small round recess....OR is there a square type recess round the ventscrew? I have a feeling it`s the former :oops: and if so, you might just get it out with heat as suggested and long-nosed pliers...as for buying the pins separately :cry: Next time youre in Tesco`s WC. pinch one from the rad there....plug the hole with chewing gum ;)

Hi Nige
As you thought the vent screw is in a round recess. Long nosed pliers wont fit in the space, I bought some that are bent at the end and can just about get some grip on the screw but it wont budge. How do I go about replacing it if I cant remove it? Tricky eh?
:confused:

Start by looking at it hard, with a mirror. Often a vent key can be modified so it doesn't spin. Taper the end as a pencil sharpener would - though you'll need a file/grinder.

You can also cut a slot in the pin with a dremel type drill with a wee cutting disc than use a right angled screwdriver.

:idea: Making a slot in it is a great idea I might see if I can borrow something to do it with. Am I being thick though - how does tapering the end of the key help when it's the square vent screw that is rounded?
In the meantime though keep the ideas coming!!

Best idea was cutting and simply unscrewing it, I think you may well have to heat it up too..! :LOL:

I'd turn your boiler off first though and drain some water from the system unless you are as quick as lightening your gonna get wet... :D

E-Mail with your address and I'll send you a free vent screw, I'm in a good mood today. :D

[email protected]

:D Thanks for that - very kind, I'll be in touch. I intend turning off the rad valves and boiler before even thinking about taking it apart!! I'll also have lots of towels and a bowl to hand just in case.

is the vent screw in a small round recess....OR is there a square type recess round the ventscrew? I have a feeling it`s the former :oops: and if so, you might just get it out with heat as suggested and long-nosed pliers...as for buying the pins separately :cry: Next time youre in Tesco`s WC. pinch one from the rad there....plug the hole with chewing gum ;)
.is this really the only place to get one ,i need one but can ony buy the ones that are fitted into a threaded plug and they are too big ?? :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back