Radiator Bleeding & Combi Boilers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just moved into a new house with a combi boiler. I have not encountered one of these in previous properties. I am experiencing ticking / knocking type noises from the upstairs pipes / radiators. Can radiators connected to a pressurised combi boiler be bled? This solved similar issues in my previous property which had a regular boiler / heating system.

Of course the noises could also be down to heat expansion / contraction of the pipes too.

I welcome knowledgable comments! Thanks

Sponsored Links
yes you can bleed rads from a combi boiler, the thing is that 99.9 per cent of the time, it is a sealed system, so you will lose pressure, this pressure must be pumped up again, by means of a filling loop. which is usually under the boiler, a silver braided thing about 300mm long. its a glorified tap, turn it on if your pressure goes below 1bar after you have bled, then turn it off when the pressure is between 1 and 1.5 bar, DONT FORGET TO TURN OFF.

Thanks Jumbo, should this be carried out when the boiler is on but not during the heating cycle? (ie when the boiler could start heating the radiators)

Boiler does not need to be on at all because pressure is maintained wether boiler is off or on, and that is the point, maintain the pressure via filling loop and when you bleed, make sure the pressure is between 1 and 1.5 bar. good luck.

Sponsored Links
Ticking and knocking noises from pipes are most unlikely to be related to air in the system. Usually caused by expansion (ticking as pipes move against timber, etc.) or loose pipes(knocking caused by pipe movement under floorboards, movement / vibration due to water flow, etc.)

quite right corgi, ...bill is already aware of that as you will see in his first question, now he knows how to bleed and maintain his heating system... a good bonus.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back