radiator leak

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old radiator that has developed a small leak in the seam at the bottom. I have tried two part epoxy putty to seal it, but water is still finding it's way out. I would fit a new rad but there isn't an exact match in width, so it would mean draining the system to fit, a job I would rather leave until spring. Anyone have any solution for a quick and easy fix please?

Sponsored Links
I take it leaking from the spindle if so,try tighten the gland nut,if not undo the nut and try putting PTFE tape down into the spindle or you could try White Hawk Compound depending how bad the leaks is.Do it with the system off.

As the leak is on the bottom seam you can use the floor to give a little pressure to the sealant. I'm thinking of a short piece of 2in by 2in wood with one end formed the contour of the radiator ( Vee shaped) and using a wedge under it to apply the pressure.
The sealant may be a special epoxy putty that can be used on leaks, but I once used a liquid type silicon sealant used normally for joints on car engines. This is available at Halfords, it is orange in colour in a tube and I found I could produce whatever shape or contour I wanted by making a small mould out of plastercine, it took 24 hours for the sealant to cure.
There is also a liquid rubber available along the same lines.
I think a piece of rubber about 1/8 in thick supported by the wood might do the trick.
What brand of epoxy putty did you use?
You could empty your radiator without closing the system down and you will have a dry area to work on.
Also I would be tempted to try to get a leak sealer in the radiator by removing the bleed valve and the adaptor it fits in.
Would it be possible to put a strap around the radiator to hold the sealant in place?
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Take a trip to the garage and buy a couple of pots of Radweld and put it in the system. Cost about £10. It will probably see you ok for a few weeks. Have some more Radweld handy in case you have to retreat it.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the response, I will try and put one or two in place. On the radweld solution, is this ok to place in a system that has corrosion inhibitor (Fernox).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back