Radiator paint: water based or traditional?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm tempted to use a water-based radiator paint (white gloss) but I don't want to do so if the results are inferior to the spirit-based type. Does anyone know whether there is a difference in the finish obtained eg in the gloss or whiteness, or other? Thanks

Sponsored Links
i used spray and thought they came up quite well. But I'm a diyer, so this might not be the best solution!

I don't think gloss looks good on radiators.

I've been happiest with Satinwood sprit based.

Not white, but toning or matching the walls colour.

I prefer an ehhshell or satin finish too..and I normally use oil based.

However if you really want white gloss then go for Dulux aqua tec..its the only one I know of that says its ok to use on rads and hot surfaces..

Allthough...Ihave often used a combination of oil based undercoat and other makes of water based gloss..and its never budged.

Sponsored Links
tend to agree with Zampa & JohnD - IMO oil based paints are best to use on radiators whether its eggshell, satin or gloss finish. :)

MW

I use the water based ones as I find they don't discolour in the way the oil based ones do, especially the white. I use Dulux quick drying Satin/Gloss.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back