Radiators taking 3 hours to get up to right temperature!!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a new condensing boiler installed in January. Radiators took a long time to reach proper temperature after installation but plumber thought it might be something to do with pipes being too small, even though I had no problems with old boiler. So I thought maybe a pump problem. I removed the middle brass screw, went to turn the middle screw, but all of a sudden the screw sprang backwards and the water started pouring out. So I just put the brass screw back in again. Had another look yesterday but cant get to the middle screw as too much water pouring out all the time. The pump is not new, no idea how old it is. Its a Wilo Salmon pump. All radiators have been balanced apparently. One radiator in the living room does get very hot quicker than any of the others but this is a new radiator. The other radiator on landing, hall, and living room take 3 hours to get to really hot. Bedroom rads get hot in about an hour. Why doesnt the hall, landing and the other living room ones come up faster? Ive bleed them all and took one off to get it cleaned out. The landing rad was fine before I removed the thermostat valve recently to a normal valve (thermo valve kept getting stuck). Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
What's the boiler? Glowworm?
What capacity?
SHUT the best rads to see what happens.
See Balancing.
WHat pump, 5m or 6m?

New pump comes before much effort goes in if the above doesn't help

Make of Boiler: Alpha CD18R, Capacity: 5.4 & 19.6kw (18 400 & 66 800 Btu/h).

Pump: this is whats on pump... 1~240-50HZ and MuF:2-400V.

The auto balancing bypass valve is set to 4, not sure if this is correct or not.

Ive also noticed now that the pipes leading to the rads that are not heating up quickly enough are very hot. Does this now mean blockage?

Ive turned off the good rads and some rads seem a bit hotter than before.

Also the pipes going into the pump and coming out of pump are scorching hot.

What sizes are the heating pipes to the rads? Usually 8 mm or 10 mm or 15 mm !

Did the boiler installer power flush the system before fitting a new boiler?

Which setting is the pump on?

It sounds as if it just meeds balancing!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Not sure about size, I know the pipes are smaller than they should be but never had problems with the rads before new boiler installed.

Also the rads that are taking too long to come on are completely open on the valves.

A chemical was put through the system when the new boiler was installed.

Ive tried both 3 and 2 setting on the pump. 3 seems better but makes more noise in the pump.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back