Railway Sleeper Wall...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My (not yet laid) patio is about 25" below the level of the lawn.

The mrs wants be to build a wall out of railway sleepers (5 deep) with a set of sleeper steps set into it at some point.

This wall would have to run the width of the garden (just under 7 meters).

My idea is to make the whole of the wall into steps, ie lay the first row then the second 9" back (assuming the sleeper is 10" wide), and so on.

My question is this:- What's the best way of fixing this lot together? I could attach joists behind the sleeper for the next row to sit on but can't think of an easy way of attaching the 2nd row to the first or the joist?

Or should I bed the whole lot into lots of concrete?

Hope the question makes sense - it's quite clear in my head !

Thanks in advance....

Sponsored Links
do you mean like this?

SV500472-1.jpg

Not quite. More like these steps....

Neil%20Baker%20railway%20sleeper%20pictures%204_WEB.jpg

.... but running the whole width of the garden (7m ish).

i.e. 2nd row overlaps first by an inch giving a 9 inch step. 5 sleepers tall.

Problem I've got is I can't see how to connect them all together to make them solid as I won't have any sides....

Sponsored Links
think im with you now. Lay the first row on a concrete foundation and bed them in it. (about 6 inches deep will be enough.) Once levelled then you can drill some holes down through the first layer and tap some reinforcing bars into the concrete and beyond. The best way is to step the excavation of the earth behind to give a bearing for each layer. Behind a couple of layer use posts concereted in and the sleeper can be fixed to them, then backfill behind it. you will only need to do it about every 1.5 meters or so. As you lay each layer fix them together with timberlock fixings. They screw straight through the sleepers and lock them tight to each other. We use them all the time and they are spot on for this type of job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back