Rainwater collection on flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a flat roof garage which simply collects the rainwater on top whenever it rains - even a small amount of rain takes days to evaporate. I cannot see any drainage point on the roof at all. Is there anything I can hve done to rectify this?

Sorry if I have not explained this in a very technical way - I am a woman who knows nothing about roof design!

Sponsored Links
flat roofs, by design hold water to some degree and are prone to ponding.

this sometimes occurs when the builder has used inadequate joists coupled with an inadequate fall, resulting in a little sag.

it is sometimes possible to acro jack the sag out of the roof and fix a strengthening member at midspan. success depends upon the 'memory' of the existing roof and how well it lends itself to being straightened.

often it's a case of, strip the roof, fix new ply boards, new firrings and re-cover, beefing up the joists if needed.

Many thanks for your reply. I will investigate my options now (but will hopefully sound a bit more knowledgeable!).

mollers said:
Many thanks for your reply. I will investigate my options now (but will hopefully sound a bit more knowledgeable!).
My garage roof is flat, or nearly, as it has tapered strips fitted on top of the main joists so it has maybe 2" of angle/pitch whatever the term, and the water runs off one end.

Maybe you could do something like that to yours, depending on how it is built?

Sponsored Links
Thanks again for the reply and this is something I will also consider.

Morrisman said:
mollers said:
My garage roof is flat, or nearly, as it has tapered strips fitted on top of the main joists so it has maybe 2" of angle/pitch whatever the term, and the water runs off one end.

firring strips or diminishing strips.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back