Rainwater into soilpipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have been to quote someone for full replacement soffits, fascias and gutters. There is a downpipe front and back and a long 10 metre run on the side. There is no downpipe or drain on the side.

Now this chap says there is a plastic soil pipe along the side which goes up from the concrete ground, up the wall and then swans out and up right next to the guttering. He wants me to put an outlet above the soil pipe, cut a hole in the soil pipe and lead the water into it via a small bit of cut tube.

Now I always thought you should'nt mix rainwater into waste but this guy says he owns a building company and knows all about these things and says legislation etc has changed :eek: :confused: :?: He says its fine and he knows what he is talking about :rolleyes:

Now has almost convinced me that i'm wrong, not him :confused:

I have explained with the new square gutter we will be installing as long as we do the fall correctly, he will never have any problems with the side, even in heavy rain. :)

Could someone just reassure me i'm right about not putting rain into waste, but i'm happy to admit wrong if someone could put me right :oops: :D

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately your gut instinct is correct.

Technically if you wanted to tap into the mains you would need to comply with building regulations, unfortunately these days with the sewers etc as they are, building control would normally expect any new rainwater to be discharged into a soakaway not the mains unless its impractical, every application I’ve done In about the last 10 years BC have insisted on this. It sounds like your builder doesnt want to just replace the existing one for some reason?

Lets be realistic though, the waterboard police are hardly likely to break your front door down at 5am and drag you off down to the police station in your Y fronts!:D unless they find out of course!:D

But for the record your builder is wrong.

Next time you should use a few more :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

In my area, all rainwater must go to soakaway although mine doesn't because it's pre-war property. I can't remember the cut off date.

Sponsored Links
Do as the builder says and wait until a nice hot day when the soil pipe vents a lovely whiffy odour through the guttering into the eaves and inside his loft, hopefully he has loft room to get the full experience.
Pete

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back