Raising a floor,advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am converting my garage into a room and wish to raise the floor within the next two weeks but not sure how much materials I need to order, the garage size is 15ftx8ft and I need to raise it 10 inches.
I was going to order a jumbo bag of sand and put that down first after laying the dpc,then gravel then concrete over this,will a jumbo bag of sand and a jumbo bag of gravel and 8 bags of cement be enough.

Sponsored Links
JOHNBOY42 said:
I am converting my garage into a room and wish to raise the floor within the next two weeks but not sure how much materials I need to order, the garage size is 15ftx8ft and I need to raise it 10 inches.
I was going to order a jumbo bag of sand and put that down first after laying the dpc,then gravel then concrete over this,will a jumbo bag of sand and a jumbo bag of gravel and 8 bags of cement be enough.

Whats the existing floor, concrete slab?? Never mind all this jumbo bag nonsense, get some 8x2s and build a suspended timber floor with insulation between the joists. Much less work and makes far more sense.

Thought about putting joists in but I would rather have a good solid base

Sponsored Links
you will need to buy 2.5 tonnes of mot which will need compacting as a base hard core and 2.5 tonnes of ballast along with 16, 25kg bags of cement.

this will be enough to solid fill.

you could use insulation as well as concrete, as this will cut down the heavy side of material buying and achieve the u values required.

JOHNBOY42 said:
Thought about putting joists in but I would rather have a good solid base

What kind of room are you converting it to. Who ever said anything about timber floors not being solid?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back