Raising toilet and sink due to tiling floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

I am about to attempt to tile the floor in my bathroom however I am not exactly Mr DIY and would appreciate any help on the following points –

1/ I intend to remove the toilet and sink pedestal however I am concerned that I will not be able to connect these up again due to the increase in height of the tiles. Both the sink and the toilet are sitting directly onto the floor boards at the minute with flooring cut round. The sink will have to be raised by the height of the tile as it has no give at the moment.

2/ Is there anything to cap the ends of the pipes for the toilet and sink so that I can turn the water back on and don’t have to complete the job in one go?

I intend to fit a 9mm ply wood underlay directly to the flooring which seems to be Ply wood already – not your standard floor boards – then tile directly onto this underlay.

House approx 8 years old

Any help greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Superdarts said:
Is there anything to cap the ends of the pipes for the toilet and sink so that I can turn the water back on and don’t have to complete the job in one go?

Yes you can fit service valves or these with enough length to make it easy for you to reconnect to the taps later.
p1081010_l.jpg
flexible tap connector hose with a valve

You could actually fit them any time prior to starting the tiling. Their flexibility makes it very easy to fit them to taps and they will accomodate plenty of movement.

Superdarts said:
I intend to fit a 9mm ply wood underlay directly to the flooring which seems to be Ply wood already – not your standard floor boards – then tile directly onto this underlay.
I'm thinking while the toilet and sink is removed, why not take up the old flooring and put down 3/4" exterior plywood as a solid base so it will keep the floor height down. You could also check for the condition of floor joists and strengthen with extra noggins if need be.

Sponsored Links
thanks folks.

I have just bought 9mm EXTERIOR ply for the underlay - is that ok? it was the only ply available from B&Q

Also I have removed the previous Tiles from one of the walls - how do I smooth this before puting on the new tiles? I had to remove tiles from one of the walls due to the previous tiles being thick and it would have left a unsightly edging if I tiled over them.

again - any help very much appreciated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back