Range Cooker - Underground Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys

I wonder if you can help me.

I am removing an old integrated gas hob and built in electric oven which I am replacing with a Range Cooker in an island configuration.

Currently from the consumer unit (32a circuit breaker type B) there is approx 3m to the main cooker on/off switch then 1m from there to another switch where the old oven was directly wired in to it. (lets call it switch X)

The manufactures of the new cooker’s states the ovens (electric) require 30a or 32a supply although I can't find what the kw of the new ovens are within the specifications (even online) but I did find information online to say a 32a is for 7.2kw or less: Is this correct?

From switch X - I will be chasing out the wall 1.5m then breaking out a concrete floor for 2m where the new cooker will be

QUESTIONS:
What cable type do I need and what size.
Do I need to put the new cable it conduit (underground)
Can I go directly from the main Cooker switch to the cooker bypassing switch X?

I’m sure there will be more questions but in the meantime thanks for any help and advice you can provide.

Kindest Regards
Simon.

Sponsored Links
I would use 6mm T&E cable

I would use a conduit or some form of cable way in the screed to make it re-wireable just incase the cooker is changed for a different model/spec in the future. You may also want to add some low level lighting around your island at some stage so the conduit would save you having to chase the floor again.

You only need one switch, normally within 2mts of the cooker but without seeing a few pics of your current setup I wouldn't want to tell you to remove switch x

And please read the Wiki section for details on the building regs which do apply to your project

Yes there's a dilemma re island units when you have the 2 metres isolator requirement coupled with 'all switches etc must be mounted on the fabric of the building not on kitchen furniture' malarky. :rolleyes:

TTC

Sponsored Links
I would rather see it on the nearest wall to the island as long as it's not to far away.

Another dilemma is whether kitchen units are part of the building fabric or furniture? Personally, as they are sold as "fitted kitchens" I would class them a part of the building fabric but I still don't like seeing sockets etc fixed to them unless it's a last resort

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back