Rat in Me Kitchen what am I gonna do

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have a regular visitor this time of year and throughout the Winter. Somehow rats are able to get into my flat roof of my kitchen. I have closed off all visible entrances from the roof itself and am aware they can get into pretty tight spaces.

A plumber said that sometime the waste pipes can be damaged and they can get up through the cavity wall from the sewer. I think he may be right, although there appears to be no bad smells which I thought there may be with this type of damage.

Is the only way to have a camera survey done of the pipework to see any possible access point or damage?

Would cavity wall insulation help stop the b*****r climbing up or just give them more bedding for their nests.

I have made an access point to the flat roof that I can put a trap in and caught a number of the s***s over last few years, but I really don't like putting my head up into the void where a rat me be........

Also one year I put poison up there and when the rat died the smell was awful. So ideally looking for preventative measures and ways of checking the true access point for the little critters.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Council was pretty useless.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Hi,

You could try one of those electronic rodent scarers, probably less than £20 from many pet/garden/diy/etc shops. You will need a power supply, and I don't know if they're infallible. I'm considering one for our roof space. The little bu**ers run up the ivy and then into a huge warm predator-free area with lots of insulation to play with.

Rgds.

Yes I have considered one of the electronic ultrasonic scarers, although I am unsure of their effectiveness. I read an article which said that there claims were grossly over exaggerated.

Anyone out there have any experiences or can recommend

Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back