Raw plugs in Old Walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone,

Sorry if this is in the wrong section but I didn't know where else to put it.

We have bought an old (1910) house, and am currently trying to fix a bathroom cabinet to the wall.

After drilling the holes to a depth of about 60mm, inserting both medium weight and heavy weight raw plugs and fixing the cabinet using masonry screws the wall simply disintegrates / crumbles, leaving a large hole.

I have filled this hole using Polyfilla, but now don't know what else to do. The wall has a thin layer of plaster, then a large thick layer of what seems to be old plaster / cement which isn't very solid. After drilling in 60mm I haven't reached the brick work.

Is there anything I can use to ensure the fixings remain? I have heard that there is a product available that you inject into the drilled hole which binds the wall surrounding the hole together with the raw plug, forming a firm solid base for the screw. Anyone used this?

Any help would be apprecitaed.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Pollyfilla? Are you having a laugh? Try products like these:

p3145707_l.jpg

p2357662_l.jpg

I've seen those things in Wickes about £1.80 for 20. Never tried them though.

You may have gone into a layer of mortar between the bricks. If you move it up or down a bit you may hit brick. Or try big blue rawlplugs.

joe

Sponsored Links
1910 House.........1910 solution :idea: Whittle a piece of wood to the size of t`hole and bash it in with a club hammer, then make pilot hole for screw with a bradawl.that`s what was done before Rawlplugs ;)

Too true Nige, but he's trying to mount a bathroom cabinet - not a 1910 problem ;)

There is a part mix (not really a mix 2 strips different colours)from rawplug I think. Rub them together pock in the hole sets like S**** holds my curtain pole up & my house is older than yours. B+Q Stock it, where all the plugs etc are :LOL:

i go with nige on this one, fill hole with a bit of gripfill, then a piece of wood as he says, leave it to go off and jobs a gooden!

(just another thought, its not a lath and plaster wall is it?)

masona said:
Softus said:
I think we've lost him guys :rolleyes:
Hmm, give olly_baker time to get out lads :LOL:
too%20many%20bricks.jpg

I'm out!

Right - Thermo, it's not a lath and plaster wall.

I've gone out and got some those Wet and Fix strips, and going to try and find some Polyester resin.

I've already drilled in 80mm, and surely do not need to go in any further than that. If all else fails I'll have to though I guess.

Would another option be to stick a baton of wood on the wall with No More Nails, and screw the cabinet on to this and into the wall?

Oh, and thanks for all your help so far.

Soon you will be able to put a plate in your neighbours house if you much deeper :LOL:

Diyisfun said:
Soon you will be able to put a plate in your neighbours house if you much deeper :LOL:

Yeah I know. One of the reasons why I don't really fancy drilling too much further!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back