rccb CU tripping out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got an rccb protected CU and it trips out occasionally when one or the lighting circuits is switched on.

The whole board is protected by the rccb, but its a pain when it trips and takes out all the power in the house.

What would you suggest be a plan of action to give to a sparks if I call one in to try to sort it out?

I know rccb's are pretty sensitive, would it be an idea to just get the board replaced with a split load board, with the lighting on the non protected side?

Benny

Sponsored Links
hi

ideally, circuits that dont require rcd protection shouldnt be. as in your case, its a pain when everything trips out when it doesnt need to.

this is where a split load board comes in handy! alternatively rcbo's are good because you can rcd circuits individually meaning you only loose the crcuit where a fault occurs.

Jonh D will no doubt appreciatte me mentioning them! :LOL:

am a bit of a fan of them also to be honest, the main draw back of them though is they are quite expensive so if you have to buy 3 or 4 then your cost goes up!

anyway backto your problemlighting circuit, how long has it been tripping? recently? if the rest of your install is pretty sound it may be worth while see-ing if you can trace the fault.

any possibility of any water getting in anywhere recently? changed any light fittings? hung any pictures?

There is absolutely no point sticking your head into the sand and, knowing there is a fault on a previously rcd-protected circuit, making it unprotected just for an easy life.

Sort it out!!

hi everyone :) it depends how long the wiring has been there,if its an old installation,it would be worth testing it,not just to find the fault :) but to find out if its sound.i,m sure the fault would show up on the tests :) and maybe if you did get a sparky there, they would probably change it for a split board anyway :)

Sponsored Links
Your whole installation my be protected by an RCCB for good reason.

If your supply earth is TT then you cannot simply replace your CU with a split load board.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back