RCD "nuisance" tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently replace an incandescent light in my garage with a fluorescent. Now the RCD which controls all circuits on the consumer unit trips occasionally just as the fluorescent light is switched off. If the fitting were faulty I could understand this happening when the light is turned on but not as it is turned off.
Can anybody explain?
Peter

Sponsored Links
Interesting problem. I have had this happen rarely on a circular bathroom light. As I see it the switch cuts off live. However may you have some stored charge in a capacitor depending on phase of voltage cycle. The only circuit available is the neutral and earth. Current returning by neutral is seen by RCD as an imbalance of live/neutral currents.
Solution would be to replace single pole switch with a double pole switch. If you are using a pull switch it would only mean moving from 5A switch to 16A DP and hopefully base plate would not need to change. Any residual charge should dissipate internally over time.
I am waiting for time to put a scope on line to test this out as it is not a priority job at moment!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back