RCD Trips Randomely

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently had my cottage rewired completely. When we plugged everything back in and moved in we noticed the RCD was tripping when we switched the washing machine on at the isolator switch. It only does it when the washing machine is switched on and the isolator switch is used. Once the isolator switch is on, and the RCD reset the washing machine can be switched on and off deom the power switch no problem. But as soon as you turn the isolator switch off then back on, it tripped the RCD.

We figured the answer to this was not to switch the isolator switch off - simple answer. However, we soon noticed that even if the washing machine wasn't on the RCD would randomly trip, even when we were just sitting watching TV and not turning anything on or off or plugging anything in.

A friend of ours said that if the shaver socket is on the RCD side this could be the problem. He also said shaver sockets shouldn't be on the RCD. We have switched the shaver socket off at the fuse box and this seem so have cured the problem.

Has anyone any idea what is going on? Should the shaver socket be on the RCD? All the wiring is brand new, as is the fuse box. Has the electrician made a mistake in the wiring?

Thanks,

Biff

Sponsored Links
Did your electrician leave you with any certificates? Have you checked behind the problem switches/sockets for any loose connections (remember to turn the power off first!) Have you tried disconnecting the washing machine?

I called the electrician back and he said it would be one of our appliances and nothing to do with his wiring. Yes we have an EICS NIC certificate

Sponsored Links
yes and it still trips randomly. Switching the shaver off seems to have sorted it. But obviously this isn't a long term solution.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back