1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

re-felting shed roof.

Discussion in 'General DIY' started by flashbang, 9 Jan 2004.

1. flashbang

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A friend of mine has asked me to re-felt his shed roof. His shed/workshop is 18'x8' with a pent roof. I have only ever felted a an 8x6 shed before, and I just walked into wickes, bought some felt, and nailed it on...Wanting to make a good job for a friend, I looked around a bit more carefully and I notice that there is a very varied choice of roofing felts available. Can anyone tell me the best stuff to use for a good long life and ease of fitting?
    Any other tips, to make the job go well would be appreciated too.
    Thanks in advance.
    Flashbang..

2. DAZB

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Have a look at
    Please login (registration is free!) to view this link.
    http://www.ruberoid.co.uk/bituminous_roofing/builders_merchant/roofing_felts.php4

They are not cheap but they should last years longer than the standard green mineral. They should be available at most good builders or roofing merchants.

3. Scoby_Beasley

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Agree with DAZB, but if you do use felt, as he mentioned, green mineral is the one to go for.

4. masona

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If your friend don't mind paying out a bit more have you thought of metal sheeting and there're not heavy.It only fitted once,then forget about it !
    u-panel-blue.gif
    You can get difference shape and colour.

5. flashbang

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks for the help and advice guy's.
    We did the job on Saturday, my mate had already bought the felt, but when I showed him these responses, said he would certainly look into improving things next time. Probably about 4-5 years...
    By the way, he bought the green mineral stuff...
    Thanks again.
    Flashbang.

6. tclick

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If you want to have a durable and really good looking shed roof, why not consider Cedar roof tiles.

I know its a plug for us, but its well mean't, the beauty of cedar tiles is they go on forever and look great even when aged.

Give us a bell and we'll do you a deal! You can see the tiles on our website, not sure if I should put the link in though ...but I am sure the moderators will remove it if not ************************************