Re-painting Bathroom ceiling (flaking pain)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Some of the paint of my bathroom ceiling has started to flake off, so I figure that's a useful prompt as any to re-do it.

Just a quick few queries - would it be okay to remove the flaking paint, and then paint over the whole ceiling again (with Dulux Easycare, or similar) or do bathroom ceilings require more in the way of prep? Do I need to sand off any edges for where things have started to flake, etc?

Any guidance from experience welcome, it may be a straightforward job, but thought it was worth a quick check before I made a start.

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any paint you can't get off can be 'feathered' by sanding.

Any uneven paint levels can be improved with filler, and sanding as necessary.

Any mould needs completely removing first.

Typically, bare plaster and bare filler should be 'mistcoated' with diluted emulsion.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As above, you can try to feather the paint by sanding it, but in practice it seldom works because the plater is normally much softer than the paint. You will probably need to use filler. Consider a better quality filer such as the Toupret Interior filler. You need to add water. I normally use cut up plastic milk bottles to mix the filler in and then bin them after use.

Sponsored Links
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
@opps @sparkwright - thank you both for your responses, it’s not bare plaster showing (and there’s no mould) but rather that the Artex has peeled off - no real noticeable levels/unevenness that would require filling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local