re-railing an internal door

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i need to re-size the hight of a door from 6ft 6inch down to 6 ft ,obviously i will need to re-rail the top and bottom of the door as i will saw the current rails off as they are only 1.5 inch deep,can anyone tell me how to do this,

Sponsored Links
I take it you're talking about the hollow egg-box type door,if so use the rail again after you taken off the hardboard etc and re-position the rail into the new position with glue & cramp.Mark both sides of door with a sanding knife before cutting.

yes it is the egg box type,should i use a circular saw or normal hand saw.

Sponsored Links
I found the best way to do this is cut above the line approx 1/8".Cut one side with a fine tooth handsaw,then do the other side.Re-position the rail down to your line then hand plane the last 1/8" to top of your rail.Make sure the plane is in an angle toward the door.If you use power tool the door will vibrate too much.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back