re-roofing an ex council house

J

js.roofing

Hi guys,

I'm a roofer an am currently in mid process of re-roofing an ex council house, today someone from the council came to my customers house and began saying that he could have this work stopped immediatly as she (customer) had not written a letter to the council for permission, also saying something about the party wall (house being a semi) not sure what though as he did not speak to me, when i asked my customer she said she didnt catch all of it but that she has to write a letter to them and once they recieve it all will be ok. I've not heard of this before, with the house being bought and payed for years ago, but obviously still stuck in the middle of a council estate, does this sound right?? The roof has not been altered all tiles taken off are going back on, just new felt and battens have been used. Surely i didnt need planning permission, do any other roofers know what this guy is on about!?? Theres a full safe scaffold around the property and a skip inside the garden, so its not as if im working in a dangerous way or anything.

Sponsored Links
I dont think its anything to do with planning or building regs, I dont think its that uncommon either. Its because its an ex-council house, a quick call to the local council will explain all, as he said I believe its normally a formality. Am not sure of the reason, a condition of buying a council house I guess, probably written in the deeds somewhere?

I wouldn't be surprised if they reserve the right to vet reroofing, so that (1) in a terrace, it matches all the other roofs and (2) there is a proper weatherproof joint to your neighbours' roofs. they might charge to inspect, too :(

If you are re-fitting the same (and presumaby matching replacements for damaged) tiles then you should be able to satisfy them.

you have to issue the neighbour with a party wall notice if you are going to be doing any work that affects their property in any way.the roof on a semi,by definition,means you will have to encroach onto the neighbours side(doesn't matter by how much,even if it's an inch)whether you're putting in a bonding gutter or tying in to their roof.god knows why but you are supposed to give them 8 weeks notice.

go here. www.communities.gov.uk/embedded_object.asp?id=1131411

hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Bendylow

Cheers for that, it helped a great deal and all is sorted.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back