Re-skimming over a new shoddy skim

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just had some walls in an old solid wall house replastered (he used Hardwall as two base coats on exsposed brick-work and the a skim of finishing plaster) He also skimmed over exsisting old plaster-work. This wqs two weeks ago.The result is appauling and he didn't bother to usre any corner-bead. I want to re-skim over the lot myself using plaster-board corner bead. Ive done plastering before but am not sure whether I should try to score the surface with a rotary power wire brush or use PVA. If using PVA should I let the PVA dry completely or catch it while it is still tacky? - also what dilution?

I,ve been told that I should hack off the Hardwall because it will cause dampness and use a render mix of 5-1-1 and then skim with finishing plaster - is this gong too far?

Sponsored Links
Hi Ray,

Don't know about the hardwall situation but for the re-skimming you shouldn't need to score it to provide a key. PVA with a 5/1 solution of water / PVA. Let this dry fully and then coat again with a 3/1 solution.

Then skim away.

What exactly is up with the work? It surely can't be so bad that you want to attempt it yourself? Can you post pics? There may be an easier solution.

Regards

Fred

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back