Re-tiling - to skim or not to skim?! Help please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
I've recently taken the old tiles off in my bathroom & some of the plaster has come away whilst doing so (some in rather large chunks) and i'm going to put up new tiles soon, but i've been given 2 different opinions by my neighbours, 1 says i just need to just use lots of adhesive & make sure there are no loose or flaky bits n bobs on the wall & i can tile straight onto the uneven surface, another says i should skim the wall first then start the tiling. I want to do a good job, as it's my first attempt, but obviously don't want to do more work than i need to! Any advice would be most gratefully received! Thanks in advance. :confused:

Sponsored Links
Erm, not exactly sure, there's some grey concrete looking stuff showing though in parts, otherwise there is the remains of the old adhesive blobs on the walls.. Sorry very, very new at all this & a girl-which i'm sure will explain everything! :LOL:

Skim teh wall first, it is always easier as you won`t have all the loose bits and you are tiling onto a flat surface.

makes life much easier then trying to save a bad job.

Sponsored Links
Following from the above....

I have stripped the tiles and it has took the paper/card covering from the plasterboard below in one large area. This is now about 1-2mm deeper than the rest of the wall. Could a professional tiler now tile on here without having to skim the wall?

Mike

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back