Really useful tools

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Not sure if this is tool or trade talk, but will probably be more helpful to tradespeople

I've generally plodded on with run of the mill tools, but over the last few months I've purchased some really useful ones which have saved me unimaginable amounts of time and effort

First up is a cordless impact driver from Ryobi. Screws, coach screws or coach bolts fly into timber, and for roof framing or decking this tool will save you hours.

Next is a Paslode first fix nailer. Again hours saved on any sort of framing. I would add that a cordless stapler/tacker is great for roof or wall membranes and kitchen unit backs

A Stanley FatMax XL tape has made me give my others away. The 8m one will stand out to nearly 4m unsupported and the 5m one to 3m. Great things to use and worth every penny. Best, smooth retraction I have seen for a long time too

A cordess recipricating saw and angle grinder have proved their worth many times over, and I now always have these with me - and not just when I think I may need them. Mine are again Ryobi, but any make would be just as useful. Get the right blades, and these will go through anything, with no effort

Finally, a Tajima Plumb Rite (plumb bob).
My concept of a plumb bob was a small brass thing on some string that swayed about all over the place and was very difficult to use and set up/measure off.
This thing fixes to anything, has defined set distance from the plumbing plane for exact measurement, and the string is automatic so pulls out and retracts to exact and controllable vertical distances - no two man set up or guesswork. Plus the actual plumb weight is really hefty an hardly swings. A bit expensive at about £25-30, but worth it.

415K05ASDML._AA280_.jpg

Sponsored Links
markie, what's in the "fuel cell" cylinders? Is it just compressed air?

Sponsored Links
Crafty said:
markie, what's in the "fuel cell" cylinders? Is it just compressed air?

No, it works by internal combustion, i don't know what the gas is though. I've found that IM350 although well built are suprisingly fragile machines, require servicing quite regularly, either that or I've got a bit of a lemon.

yep i fully agree with woody about the ryobi impact driver it has a handy little light as well :D :D :D

when you first use it you think all the wood has gone rotten and soft as the screws go in so effortlesly
take several spare bits with you because when it meets a stuborn screw it keeps powering and can break the bits :eek: ;)

i also agree about the ryobi recip saw brilliant bit of kit although mainly a demolition tool

the first use i bought it for was cutting bargeboards without removing the roof tiles 2 parralel battons 1mm less than the exposed blade allowed effortless removal

i was so impressed with it i bought a dewalt one to go with my main kit to save me carrying duplicate batterys and chargers

another tool i would like to add to the list is an angle drill i have the 18v dewalt i paid about £70 from powertools uk for it ;)
although it dosnt have hammer for obvious reasons it is a full drill so can drill holes in brick and maisonary in confined spaces drill through joists and acccess small kitcken units
and its more mormal use is as a screwdriver as it saves keep swopping bits when putting plugs in and loosing the drill bit or driver bit :D :D ;)

Handiest tools we (well partner) use are

Fein Supercut, specially to cut under door posts
Plunge saw from Festool
and metabo dust extraction, mitre saw and compressor with air nailer.
(And more and more space in the van is taken up by all these tool boxes!)

my paslode is virtually indestructable it gets used in all weathers. By the Paslode has lost the rights to the gas cannister now, so you can pick up cheaper versions which are just as good. Well worth reading the manual and giving it an occasional clean as well! im still torn between it and compressed air nailers though.

i had a dewalt 18v impact driver that i used for driving in timberlock screws through sleepers. it disintergrated in about a month. Searched high and low for a replacement until someone suggested getting a normal chuck adaptor for my sds drill. Works extremly well as an impact driver and it means one less bit of kit in the van as well.

best stapler ive found is a hammer stapler. works bloody well for membranes.

another thing well worth its weight in gold (or diamonds)are the diamond screwdriver bits for drill/drivers. Dont wear out like the cheap ones and last for ever....well almost!

Maybe I got a lemon then, strangely though and accquantaince of my had a similar problem, repetitive jamming :?:

Eddie M said:
Maybe I got a lemon then, strangely though and accquantaince of my had a similar problem, repetitive jamming :?:

what gas and nails are you using in it and did you buy it from new?

Had it serviced?

Thermo said:
Eddie M said:

what gas and nails are you using in it and did you buy it from new?

Had it serviced?

All paslode kit, nails, ring annular, gas, as supplied. Serviced, yes twice, still jams. I think it's a bit crook, yes was brand new, though have to confess has been dropped a couple of times :( Can't really complain, earned it's cost on the roof it did :) It's now happily in semi retirement.

Sponsored Links
Back