Reccomend a cheaper drill please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know you get what you pay for BUT i`m broke and i do not have a credit card to stick it on.
I`m after a hammer drill are the own brand one`s worth looking at? there must be some that are built by a decent company for one of the big co`s wicks etc.
i had a 650w bosch but it went bang or not and as i have a new bigger(better?) mortgage have hardly any funds but wicks seem to do a cheap one and it only has to last 6mths or so as a diy drill,when i pass(If)2330 i allowed to spend more.
Cheers Ray :D

Sponsored Links
depends what its used for but from what youve said itll be used often.

you have 2 choices:

buy cheap>replace monthly

buy decent> replace every few years.

cheap drills just dont last in trade use. there designed for light duty work.

i`m not using it as a tradesman(person??) at the mo` but what with college a big commute i`m not going to have the £200+ that i`d like to spend until next year-but i need a hammerdrill to do some work at home,i understand that i`ll be chucking after a few mths but at the mo` i have no choice.
Cheers Ray

Sponsored Links
i took it to bits but could not find out what was wrong-lee of a bang more of a fizz!!
i have found locally a b+d 18v cordless hammer for about £50,online i only found it fot £110-may have one of them i thinks
Cheers Ray

"Which" did a test on corded drills recently. Of the best buys, the cheapest were
Bosch PSB 650 RA about £70 and Makita HP1621 at about £60. Others were in the region of £140

Some were so bad they were rated as "don't buys"
Draper PT900K, Power Devil PDDRH1050, Black & Decker KD 960KC, McKeller MCKM 14, Skil 1760, Draper PT810V, Focus Basics, McKeller MCKM13, Power Devil PDD 3021 CA and Axminster AW 500 HD - broke down too early

JCB HD1010 - too slow

Cordless drills were last tested in Feb 05.
Spear & Jackson SJ-CD18KUK was the worst

you dont need £200. got a makita 2Kg SDS for £110 a years ago. and its never had any problems. and there still around that price

Regarding the Wickes stuff, their pro range seems to be made by Kress, a German company well known in Europe. Not bad gear for the money plus they come with 3 year guarantee. I have the £100 circ saw and it has taken some real stick, still going strong though.

Other than that, green Bosch or Ryobi are a good bet.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back