recessed downlighters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to have some recessed downlights installed in my kitchen and landing, but I'm hoping someone can answer a few questions beforehand.

1. do you need moisture resistant fittings in a kitchen as you would in a bathroom?

2. what are the pros and cons of mains voltage and low voltage downlights? is one cheaper or easier to install than t'other?

3. how many lights would you recommend in a kitchen that is approx 3.5 x 3.5 (12ft x 12ft) assuming we're using 50w halogen bulbs?

4. how much could i expect to pay an electrician to install the aforement downlights?!

5. The landing has a false ceiling below the original ceiling (nothing to do with me, it was there when i bought the house), is it still possible to install the lights without access from above (I'm having the ceiling reskimmed so a bit of damage isn't a problem)?

I thinks that's all the questions I have for now.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
1. no

2. mains voltage - easily dimmable, low voltage - cleaner light.

3. maximum 6 lights, possibly only 5. 50w is a lot of light - remember, in the olden days, one would have a single 60w light hanging from the ceiling.

4. how long's a piece of string? Get a couple of quotes.

5. In order to run the cables, you will need a certain amount of access from above. May be possible to just use the holes for the lights to pull the wires through. depends on the construction of the ceiling.

I've got a house with recessed downlights, hate them, they're a fad. Like Artex ceilings and stone cladding. They'll be with you a lot longer than a you'll like them.

for the flase ceiling, depending on gap, you can usually drill the hole for lights and continue thru existing ceiling and then wire from above

Sponsored Links
Right... I had some downlighters put in my landing ceiling. I didn't bother in the kitchen because it was too much hassle.

The problem I have is that the bulbs seems to be blowing quite often. There's 3 lights and I've already got through 4 bulbs in just a few weeks.

They are mains voltage lights that use the GU10 bulbs and they were wired in by an NICEIC approved electrician. Does anyone know of anything that typically causes bulbs to blow frequently. I don't want to call the electrician and have words if its nothing to do with his wiring.

Thanks

duvet77 said:
Right... I had some downlighters put in my landing ceiling. I didn't bother in the kitchen because it was too much hassle.

The problem I have is that the bulbs seems to be blowing quite often. There's 3 lights and I've already got through 4 bulbs in just a few weeks.

They are mains voltage lights that use the GU10 bulbs and they were wired in by an NICEIC approved electrician. Does anyone know of anything that typically causes bulbs to blow frequently. I don't want to call the electrician and have words if its nothing to do with his wiring.

Thanks

1 Over voltage
A common problem if there all taken from one badly regulated transformer. When one lamp goes the others get a higher voltage which shortens their life. You put a nice new one in and then one of the others blows which over volts your new one. You just go round in circles.

2. Cheap Transformers
Some of the cheaper individual transformers also have bad voltage regulation and can shorten lamp life.

3. Vibration
This normally affects lamps on the ground floor when people on the first floor are over active ;)

3. Cheap fittings and cheap lamps
Bad connections on the lamp will reduce their life and cheap lamps don't last as long.

Quick fix. Buy good lamps and install a dimmer with a soft start. Only dim the lamps by about 5% and they will last much longer. Dimming them any further for long periods will affect light output and life.

There are more reasons but these are the common problems

Pensdown said:
1 Over voltage
A common problem if there all taken from one badly regulated transformer. When one lamp goes the others get a higher voltage which shortens their life. You put a nice new one in and then one of the others blows which over volts your new one. You just go round in circles.

2. Cheap Transformers
Some of the cheaper individual transformers also have bad voltage regulation and can shorten lamp life.

Except for GU10's don't use transformers.

Point 3&4 are feasable though

Rob

Quite right RF...Sorry for the confusion but it was general post also directed at duvet77 who is trying to decide what type of lighting to go for, mains or low voltage.

Also as Crafty reminded us, a lot of people just read posts so it's better to give more info as this may answers their questions…

Thanks guys. they are mains voltage, so there is no transformer.

Cheap fitting/lamp is probably the most obvious reason that applies to me. I bought them from B&Q! :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back