Reckon I can fit 20 yard skips-worth of waste in 6 van loads?

Grab lorries can carry a variety of materials, including: Soil
  • Muck
  • Green waste: flower cuttings, grass, hedge trimmings
  • General rubbish
  • Aggregates, concrete and topsoil
the 2 in my area wont sadly, but thanks.

Can someone tell me roughly how many loads a 3 metre van will actually take though. if its a 20 yards skips worth. 200ish rubble bags.
Id like to at least calcualte the costs. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
@JobAndKnock gave you the answer early in the thread. Ask your mate what the payload of the van is. Say the van can take 2 tonne then that's 2 cubic yards per van trip so ten trips. The payload is stamped on the data plate in the van.

Edit: I've had a look and max payload on a transit 350 is 1.5 tonne so you could be looking at a minimum of 10 trips.

Last edited:
We have a waste company locally who take clean hardcore for free. Rock up, unload the van into a skip, roll off. Problem is you could turn up and the skip is full! I got rid of about 15 small trailer loads over a period of 2 weeks.

Looks like you could be needing up to 20 trips. In my parents area trailers over 1.25x1Mtr are not allowed in one counties tips. Those trailers are only allowed 3 trips per month.
Pick-Ups, vans and some estate cars* are not allowed without a prepaid license. And again limited access.
In the in-laws county tips license required for all vans, Pick-Ups and trailers. At one tip estate cars and SUV's are frowned upon unless the back seats are up and useable.

*They regard big Estate cars as traders vehicles - Volvo, Merc's and the like. Cars that in the past would have shown a Goods Vehicle RFL.

Me thinks you need to research this in your local area to prevent you and your mate ending up in trouble.

Sponsored Links
In addition to many of the restrictions listed above, to take a car derived van (up to transit size), to my tip would require a permit at £15 per visit - restricted to one visit per month.
...and since COVID, all visits have to be pre-booked online (with proof of residency on display), with a limit of two visits per month!
To me it has been brilliant; it's now a much calmer experience - not the previous free-for-all, with very few queues! :)

So 10 trips = 5 months? That rubbish pile would be getting awfully smelly (wet plasterboard generates hydrogen sulphide), not to mention harmful to the environment (H2S combined with rainwater also makes acid rain)

Last edited by a moderator:
Where do you live that the council will let you tip 3.5 tonnes, and block a skip for an hour while you shovel it out of a van? Mine it's 6 bags of rubble per week, security guards and ANPR!. I'd get an 8 yard skip and put the heavy stuff in that, you might be surprised how much it holds. Weigh up what's left for your van - it's generally a weight not volume issue for building waste.
My last skip was £240, which is ridiculous, I used to tip my hardcore at a private recycling place using my one tonne trailer - went up from £10 to £20 and now £30 so no longer worth it - at least with the skip it's in and gone.
My biggest issue was an attack of skip anxiety - first of all I worried that it wouldn't all fit in, then I worried that I wouldn't fill it and would have wasted a load of money. I ended up hunting round and digging some extra soil out from behind the house to prepare for a future project. Then a builder down the road knocked on and asked if he could have some soil from the skip to build up a lawn - I nearly cried!, then he said his job was finished - his own skip was only half full and I was welcome to use it!!

is 3.5 tonnes including vehicle weight.

So maximum 1.9 tonnes load, based on having owned twin wheel Transits and LDVs in the past

Googling a ford transit says gross vehiucle weight is 2600kg

Depends on the model. Mine were what was colloquially referred to as "35 cwt" models - or 3.5tonne gvw these days

Where do you live that the council will let you tip 3.5 tonnes, and block a skip for an hour while you shovel it out of a van? Mine it's 6 bags of rubble per week, security guards and ANPR!. I'd get an 8 yard skip and put the heavy stuff in that, you might be surprised how much it holds. Weigh up what's left for your van - it's generally a weight not volume issue for building waste.
Agree 100% it's got to the point i'm scared to go the tip now, need a permit if using van, asking what you have, moving closer to you, staring while you hold a piece of wood with metal attached unsure/frightened where to put it, until they grunt and point at a certain skip, when i escape under that exit barrier the relief is overwhelming.:)

This is trade waste price local to me

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220912-130902_Kindle.jpg
    Screenshot_20220912-130902_Kindle.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 39
They said their long wheel base sprinter is 1466kg, so I might do it if my mate is reliable.
Spoiler: he isnt.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back