Recommendation for Heating Oil Tank

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I understand that Titan, Balmoral, Harlequin and Midas all make domestic heating oil tanks.

Would you recommend one manufacturer in particular ?

Titan seem to be the most popular when I have a look around ?

Sponsored Links
self builder 123 said:
Hi

I understand that Titan, Balmoral, Harlequin and Midas all make domestic heating oil tanks.

Would you recommend one manufacturer in particular ?

Titan seem to be the most popular when I have a look around ?

I presume that you are looking to fit an oil tanl with a storage not more than 2500 litres that is supply a single domestic dwelling only ?

I am an OFTEC installer and get to see some horrendous oil tank installations that do not comply with the regs.just because the builder or installing person thought it would be ok by his own imagination. It is quite important to make sure for example that the tanl is correctly located and not positioned within certain dimensions of openings or below eaves/next to combustible boundarys and fitted on a propoerly constructed base.

I would say the Titan oil tank is the best known Manufacturer and reccommend that a bunded plastic oil tank be fitted.

Also ensure that the oil line installation complies with the OFTEc specification and that there is a remote sensor fire valve fitted externally of the property where the oil line enters the building.

BUT ... Get some advice from a registered OFTEC tank installer who will be able to do the job from start to finish and most importantly be able to self certify the installation to the local authourity to comply with building regs.

It is very important that before an oil tank is fitted in a particular location that an OFTEC T/133D Risk assessement form is completed.

It is really better to get a locally OFTEC registered installer to advise you further if you at all unsure . They may even be prepared to do a labour only job if you prefer to supply the Tank and materials.

Titan Tanks (get a bunded one) I would say are the better ones, don't buy second hand to save money either.
Staffs is right about asking an installer to do the work, there has been horrendous fines for leaking kerosene in some parts of UK. If your OFTEC installer caused the big leak then he has insurance to cover this bad workmanship, you don't!
Most guys in the oil business don't have the huge labour rates anyway. ;)

Don,t use a plastic tank. A steel one will be cheaper, and you may find a manufacturer near to you. Plastic has a nasty habit of being brittle at the wrong time, prone to mechanical damage, and easily punctured by airgun pellets. They melt in the presence of fire.

Needless to say, a plastic tank manufacture will dispute this.

Sponsored Links
staffs said:
Also ensure that the oil line installation complies with the OFTEc specification and that there is a remote sensor fire valve fitted externally of the property where the oil line enters the building.

BUT ... Get some advice from a registered OFTEC tank installer who will be able to do the job from start to finish and most importantly be able to self certify the installation to the local authourity to comply with building regs.

It is very important that before an oil tank is fitted in a particular location that an OFTEC T/133D Risk assessement form is completed.

It is really better to get a locally OFTEC registered installer to advise you further if you at all unsure . They may even be prepared to do a labour only job if you prefer to supply the Tank and materials.

I would advise anyone having a new or replacement tank to familiarise themselves with the regulations & check their self certifying OFTEC installer does it properly. Faced with the new regulations & a lack of time due to other renovation work, I decided to get a ‘professional’ in, he did the job in ½ a day & every thing was fine until around a year later when I had someone in to quote for fitting a new boiler; I then discovered the existing fire valve adjacent to the boiler should have been replaced with one fitted externally, the tank should not have been installed where it was due to a foul sewer access cover & the tank was too close to a hedge. The boiler guy said that since the introduction of the new regulations, he spends around 50% of his time putting right bodged tank installations (many of them OFTEC) which usually only come to light if there is an accident or during your prospective buyers survey when you come to sell up despite having a certificate that says the installation complies; which mine now does since I put it right myself! I also managed to prevent my neighbour being caught out in much the same way by a different OFTEC 'professional’ installer.

I am an OFTEC installer and see many, many rule breaking, even from a big local fuel supplier (Scottish...umm can't remember last part?). Basically the installers are installing tanks anywhere the customer wants to keep them happy and get work! I know we are not talking gas appliances here, but I have seen a few balanced flues directly under a kitchen window?? :eek: Regulations are only mean something when they are inforced.

gasandoilman said:
Also the poor intaller that has to carry the steel tank :LOL: :LOL:

Not really much of an excuse to use plastic. There is one plastic tank manufacturer that has gone bust because of having to recall poorly moulded tanks. Steel tanks are used at airports, they don't use plastic ones. Does this say something? You can have a steel tank almost any shape you want. But then it's your choice, you have to live with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back