Recommendation on Combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Taking the plunge and think I'll go for a combi into the house (ripping out the old tanks, etc - 3 bed 1bath + 1 shower.

I am getting someone in to do it but I have a question...
1. Torn between two boilers...Valliant TurboMax Plus or Worceste5r Bosch 35CDi. Any recommendations. Boiler will be going into the loft.
2. Are there any key benefits on Combis with a storage facility. Reading the Valliant website, they have one with a 15Litre storage.
3. How can I check my water pressure ? Can I stick a bucket on the outside tap and measure how long it takes to fill a bucket ? Whats the recommendation to run on a combi ?

Sorry to ask all these questions...I'm new to all this lark !

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
In the loft- beware the dead leg.
Vaillant lovely bits of kit.
Hey Kev, how about an 'ilovecombis' handle to liven up old oily!!!

oooohhhh

glups.gif

Sponsored Links
There's nothing like a useful reply, is there? :rolleyes:

Get your bucket, find/make calibrations. Turn kitchen + garden taps on full, measurequantities in one minute and add together.
Less than about 16 litres/ min = don't have a combi. 20 is OK, 26+ is getting good. Some get 40+

Check water pressure - plumber or £10 guage. You need 2 bar minimum, with flow off. Can you stop your mains water at your garden tap with your thumb? My thumb is calibrated for 3 bar - others vary.

If you're at the low end of pressure/flow there's no point having a combi with output above say 28kW. 35cdi is higher (35kW) Vaillant do one which is 37, and as you say their Aquaplus with a store inside which gives you a bath noticeably quicker. 28kW is a good shower, unless/until someone turns a tap on. If supplies are poor that includes a COLD tap.

With a 35 kW combi and very good supplies the showerer would notice a drop on flow if a hot tap went on elsewhere but a thermostatic or pressure balanced mixer would cope.

Getting a heavy boler into a loft needs 3- 4 people! ANd a lot of pipes to put somewhere.

Worcester 35Cdi aint heavy, lift them out the van and up the stairs on the wall by myself and I am a 9.5 stone weakling, may need the help of a beautiful assistant to get one into the loft, but normally end up getting the wife to help.

kevplumb said:
is that the faint patter of oilmans size nines i hear :LOL: :LOL:

They're tens. Anyway let him put in what he likes, people think combi rather than think boiler. He'll get it in the ear when the thing stops and there's no hot water as well as no heating. Ho hum.........:evil:

I join oilmans corner :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

An avoid thermal stores as well.

unvented cylinder if you have the mains supply to run a combi can.

PEDANTICVINDICTIVEMAN said:
Better avoid all plumbing of any description then just to be on the safe side.

Bit tame for you Pvcman :LOL: :LOL:

Was it my usual remark regarding the Very reliably best thing since slice bread CombiCans, or the thermal stores.

For your record a client has just paid us to remove 36 boilermates because they keep sludging up every 6months'.

fitted 36 megaflos

Boilermates !! "another" make I have never heard of, but any heating system regardless of boiler will sludge if not installed correctly and "proper" inhibitor used.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back