recommendations for a new combi with decent water flow

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am considering replacing my old Ideal W2000 boiler with a Combi, I have a 4 bedroom house with 2 showers and a bath.

Can anyone recommend a Combi that will give a decent water flow if both showers are operated at the same time. Not too worried about price but floor standing boilers are out of the question because I want it to go into the same location as my current boiler.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It would be cheaper to get an electric shower for the second bathroom. About £100-£400

Even the most powerful boiler available as a combi will be less than twice your existing so that will not be a very good solution.

Another way would be to install an unvented cylinder to feed one bathroom. Quick fill bath or a good shower. About £400-£1000.

In most cases you will need a very good mains supply so that may need to be upgraded.

Free to take showers at different times !!!

Tony

WHatever combi you have, the bath will clobber the shower. Two showers is possible if you limit the flows and your mains is good, for a high flow combi. Look at eg, Alpha CD50 and Worcester 40cdi.

ChrisR said:
WHatever combi you have, the bath will clobber the shower. Two showers is possible if you limit the flows and your mains is good, for a high flow combi. Look at eg, Alpha CD50 and Worcester 40cdi.

Forget electric showers - a silly idea indeed. The CD 50 is the highest flow "wall mounted" combi. There are higher flow floor mounted combis: Viessmann, Gledhill, ACV, Ideal, Powermax, Worcester-Bosch, Vokera, all two bathroom jobs.

The Gledhill has full electric backup for CH and DHW.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

davphi338 wrote:
Hi,

I am considering replacing my old Ideal W2000 boiler with a Combi, I have a 4 bedroom house with 2 showers and a bath.

Can anyone recommend a Combi that will give a decent water flow if both showers are operated at the same time. Not too worried about price but floor standing boilers are out of the question because I want it to go into the same location as my current boiler.

Thanks

The Alpha CD50 will do two showers.

However, use a Rinnai or Andrews multi-point high flow water heater and a small CH boiler. The Rinnai will do two bathrooms no problem and can be fitted outside saving space inside.

The Rinnai or Andrews costs less than an unvented cylinder and never runs out of hot water. Great for body jet showers.

Look at Rinnai and Andrews:
http://www.discountedheating.co.uk/shop/acatalog/Gas_Water_Heaters.html

Sponsored Links
I quite like the spec of the Alpha CD50 and its a little cheaper than the Worcester.

Does anyone have any experience of these with respect to reliability.

Not sure about a separate water heater, would this mean having 2 boilers one for the CH and one for the HW?

davphi338 said:
I quite like the spec of the Alpha CD50 and its a little cheaper than the Worcester.

Does anyone have any experience of these with respect to reliability.

Quite good. They have a 3 yr guarantee.

kevplumb said:
would this mean having 2 boilers one for the CH and one for the HW?

no you connect the one boiler on an S or W plan

You don't at all. The system boiler just a flow and return pipe to the rads, nothing else. No troublesome space taking valves.

davphi338 said:

Not sure about a separate water heater, would this mean having 2 boilers one for the CH and one for the HW?

Yes. One multi-point water heater, maybe fitted outside if you want, and one small CH system boiler. The CH boioer has the pump, filing loop and expasnion vessel inside with only a flow pipe to the rads and one return back.

The multi-point is high flow and will never run out of hot water - great for full body jet showers, whoch need 300 litres of expensive and space using storage or more.

MacDonalds use Rinnais as stadard in banks. They are Japanese and very reliable and the biggest selling multi-points in the world.

For about £1300 you get both appliances. Price up a 300 litre unvnetd cylidner and a system boiler. No contest. Also when one is down the other works

Obscurity isn't an attribute I'd find appealing in a boiler - be careful.

Before you start to think about solutions, check your mains pressure and flow. If you, as many are finding, have little over the statutory 1bar, and it's through a British Standard squished lead pipe, combis are not for you.
Ask your water provider what pressure they will guarantee.

There is no such thing as a "two shower combi". It depends on the spec for your showers. And, you use a bath.

Beware the cowboy on the "nobody should store water" hobbyhorse.

Paul Barker said:
consider the Alpha solar system with combi support too.

It can't mate with the CD50. The solar system is just an unvented cylinder with neat diverter valve (handy item I wonder if they sell it separately) . May as well use a system boiler and heat bank with a solar coil. Then the solar heated water can be used in DHW and CH. Still one white box and a cyldiner but much superior in DHW flow and gives solar heated water to CH & DHW, and the CH can be run off it with a Grundfos Alpha pump and TRVs on all rads.

Much better all around.

ChrisR said:
Obscurity isn't an attribute I'd find appealing in a boiler - be careful.

Uh??

Before you start to think about solutions, check your mains pressure and flow. If you, as many are finding, have little over the statutory 1bar, and it's through a British Standard squished lead pipe, combis are not for you.
Ask your water provider what pressure they will guarantee.

If the mains is poor, it is worth uprating it. Once done it is done for ever. Well worth it.

There is no such thing as a "two shower combi". It depends on the spec for your showers.

MOD 2

if you persist in this abusive manner it will be deleted without further warning

Can you read? "Beware the cowboy on the "nobody should store water" hobbyhorse."

This insult was directed at me. Are you going to do something about it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back