RECOMMENDATIONS FOR A RF ROOM STAT

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am getting a Vaillant combi boiler fitted soon to replace a conventional system. I don't want to lift flooring up to run a new cable for a conventional room stat so am considering an RF stat.

Has anyone any recommendations of a good programmable room stat suitable for use with the Vaillant Ecotec plus 837 boiler. Also am I correct in thinking that if I get a progammable room stat I will not need a timeswitch on the boiler.

Thanks for any advice

Sponsored Links
I've got the Drayton WR1 wireless reciever and the RC5 programmable stat. The RC5 lets you set different times for SAT/SUN, if this doesn't concern you then you can get the RC2, but I would go for the RC5.

Yes. If it's a programmable stat then no timer is required. The only downside is you don't have a 1 hour boost for the heating and only 4 time/temperature settings. A bit more flexibility would be nice.

They all seem pretty much of a muchness, make sure you get one with volt-free switching.

Just used a Salus 500RF on the same model boiler. Nice bit of kit and not too expensive. It can run on 230 and well as voltage free. Good for the Vaillant which has 230V S/L

Sponsored Links
Why not just fit the Vaillant VRT360RF which is designed just for the ecotec plus range. It plugs into the front of the 837, no wiring, and offers full heating control and also timed aquastart function.

If you have a north wall handy I would fit the VRC400 weather compensator/programmer/room sat which also fits in the front and requires no room stat any where in the property as it is built in the unit in the boiler ;)

I would NOT reccommend the Danfoss RX2 or whatever its called. Overcomplicated setting procedure, no heating boost and very ambiguous instructions.

I myself am also on the lookout for a decent and easy to use RF stat. I will check out the Salus one above...

i quite like the salus. not overcomplicated to install or set up. Easy for the customer to use. Pick them up for approx £50. Decent RF range as well.

I use the Honeywell CF61 I think it is.

Wiring could be better but very easy to set up and auto finds the receiver without having to faff about. Has good range aswell.

Stan

We use the Honeywell CM927 with these boilers, it is in our view the best looking and has the nicest ergonomics.

Whilst we do fit the Vaillant VRC400 and VRT360/f, many customers find these difficult to operate. I find it difficult to operate, they are a lesson in how to make a customer have a nervous breakdown.

Easy to install though, just two wires.......

PS: I should add that the CM927 replaced the CM67 range in Dec 06.

gas4u,

Can you confirm that the Rx'er unit for the VRF360f actually plugs into the front of the boiler. Reading the installation instructions from the vaillant website it says that the RX'er is situated away from the boiler and is connected by 2 core cable to the eBus connections.

cheers

Having done a bit more research its the VRT340f that plugs into the front of the boiler not the VRT360f. Unfortunatley the VRT340f is not suitable for use with the Ecotec plus range of boilers.

undercover said:
i quite like the salus. not overcomplicated to install or set up. Easy for the customer to use. Pick them up for approx £50. Decent RF range as well.

We have a ground floor customer who has a boiler about 20m away in the basement within a converted warehouse with thick walls !

I have advised him that it might be difficult to get reliable operation with the available range of wireless stats.

Does anyone have any experience of the limits of these devices under difficult conditions?

Tony

davphi338 said:
Having done a bit more research its the VRT340f that plugs into the front of the boiler not the VRT360f. Unfortunatley the VRT340f is not suitable for use with the Ecotec plus range of boilers.

Sorry, yes you are correct :oops: I have been used to fitting the VRC400 as of late and had this plug in version in my mind. The VRT360f should still give the advantage of time controlling the aquastat funtion on the ecotec combi or the hot water cylinder temp if using a Unistor.

Agile said:
undercover said:

We have a ground floor customer who has a boiler about 20m away in the basement within a converted warehouse with thick walls !

I have advised him that it might be difficult to get reliable operation with the available range of wireless stats.

Does anyone have any experience of the limits of these devices under difficult conditions?

Tony

The Siemens REV23 r/f of which I have fitted bucket loads can be a problem with reception in older buildings with very thick walls. I fitted one of these to a friends farmhouse and the workable range was reduced to around 4-5 metres when the MI's quote 18M :rolleyes:

I had to move the receiver unit closer to it. It was still advantageous to use this due to the thickness and awkwardness to get through his walls ;)

Thanks for the reply gas4you,

I've ordered the VRT360f anyway to give me the control over the aquacomfort feature on the Vaillant 837 ecotec boiler.

Am I correct in thinking that if I didn't have the ability to turn the water off via the progammable thermostat the boiler would fire up intermittently to keep the aquacomfort water hot.

Also if I set the programmer to set HW to off for a set time and someone turns a hot tap on will the boiler fire up due to the flow of water or will I have to manually over ride the setting on the thermostat to get hot water

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back