1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Recommendations for the clueless beginner

Discussion in 'General DIY' started by Apricot Toaster, 28 Oct 2021.

1. Apricot Toaster

Apricot Toaster

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hello!

I know very little about DIY, bu really need to learn as I've just bought a flat which needs more doing to it than I thought. There are loads of youtube channels out there but I really don't know where to start. I'd like to get a good overview of things and not to sound completly clueless when speaking to contracters and getting quotes.

Can anyone recommend a good youtube channel for beginners that I can watch to teach myself the basics?

Thanks!

2. Sponsored Links
  3. conny

conny

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    It depends on what basics you want to learn about.
    Subjects covered could include, basic electrics, basic plumbing, basic carpentry/woodwork, basic decorating etc, etc. The good thing is, some things you learn about one subject can be modified and carried over to another subject.
    Lets start with what you know/think is wrong with your flat. We may then be in a better position to guide/advise you.

4. Apricot Toaster

Apricot Toaster

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Basic decorating would probably be a good start as I'm going to have to paint all the walls.

Most of the things that are wrong with the flat are big jobs best left to the professionals - plastering, fitting a new kitchen, chasing in wires and installing plug sockets.

My radiators aren't working either. Bleeding radiators is one of the few jobs I can do, but that didn't work so I'm currently going through a few youtube videos before giving up and calling a plumber.

5. conny

conny

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Basic decorating seems to be covered by this guy but I think this is the second video in a series so may be worthwhile typing in his name to try and find the ceiling one first. From here you will find suggestions of related videos.

Practical Decorating Tips - YouTube

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. ETAF

ETAF

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Or you could start here and post a new question in the plumbing section providing as much information as possible.

7. Apricot Toaster

Apricot Toaster

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    That will probably be my next step if the youtube tutorial fails.

8. Apricot Toaster

Apricot Toaster

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thank you, I'll take a look.

9. sxturbo

sxturbo

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    A lot of that you you could do yourself with time and patience, will save you a fortune aswell.

Unfortunately I am unable to provide good YouTube links, but a Google search of what you wish to achieve usually brings up good results.

Regards the chasing in, you could do this yourself, mark out where you want the sockets and do the chasing yourself, you will have to buy some tools but you can get cheap stuff easily that will more than do the job, look at screwfix and their titan SDS and erbauer tools range.

As has already been suggested, each time your ready to start a new project open a thread in the relevant section and everyone on here will point you in the right direction

• Like Like x 3
  10. Sponsored Links
  11. JobAndKnock

JobAndKnock

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I know it's a bit old fashioned, but might I recommend a book? The one I'm thinking about is the "Reader's Digest Complete Do-It-Yourself Manual". When I got my first house many moons ago my dad gave me a copy of this book, the grey PVC covered ring bound one. I still have mine and whilst it is now a tad out of date (materials have moved on in the last 40 years), much of what is in there is still highly relevant and the book contains a lot of what a DIYer would want to tackle contained in a single volume. That makes it a handy starting point before wading into YouTube videos. When I was on the local flea market yesterday there were two stall holders selling copies - one of them was on at a tenner

• Like Like x 1
  12. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    I had a book in a ring binder with a hard red plastic cover.

Was it Readers Digest? Or AA?

Often see one in charity shops

There are some "Which" books as well.

13. JobAndKnock

JobAndKnock

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Quick scout on the net ('coz I've stored mine away and can't find it at the moment :rolleyes:) turned up photos of the one I have:

Readers Digest DIY Ring Binder.jpg
    Readers Digest DIY Ring Binder contents 002.jpg
    Readers Digest DIY Ring Binder contents 001.jpg
    Readers Digest DIY Ring Binder contents 003.jpg

Mine's the older grey one. I believe that you are right, John - the newer one is red and yes, they do seem to turn up in charity shops regularly and fairly cheaply

• Like Like x 1
  14. Apricot Toaster

Apricot Toaster

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Book suggestions are also welcome! I shall try and track that one down.

15. JobAndKnock

JobAndKnock

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Some useful sections in there including:

Decorating
    Hand tools
    Power tools
    All about timber
    Fixing and fastening
    Handling concrete
    Brickwork and stonework
    Upholstery and soft furnishing
    Glass and glazing
    Home electrics
    Plumbing and central heating
    Home maintenance and repairs
    Metalwork
    and First Aid

as well as some basic (and these days a bit old fashioned) projects.

As I said, it covers a lot of the basics and goes into enough detail to give you a clue how to do it before you whiz off and find someone on YouTube demonstrating how they do it (and as a joiner I have to say some of the videos about joinery stuff on YouTube make my toes curl - but that's Americans for you, in the main)

Last edited: 29 Oct 2021
  16. Apricot Toaster

Apricot Toaster

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    You are greatly overestimating my skills. I just about know the difference between a flat head and a phillips screwdriver.

I have had a look at the youtube videos detailing how to chase in wires. It seems waaay to complicated. I'd rather pay someone to so it properly than spend time trying to do it myself, failing miserably and then paying someone to fix it.

17. JohnD

JohnD

Thanks Received:
    Cook Islands
    Also on ebay, but it is heavy to post.

Various editions are available