Recurring drain blockage.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some advice and help please.

I have an underground drain – 100mm nominal diameter - which services my downstairs toilet and runs down the side of my house one meter to invert level for about 10 metres and connects perpendicular into a communal drain which runs parallel with the back of the house. There is an insp.chamber where the drain exits the wall line from the downstairs toilet.
One year ago the drain blocked, called out Dynorod who took a look and said a conifer shrub at the junction of my drain and the communal drain had roots which were causing a problem. They cleared the blockage and sent a camera down - £££££££ - which confirmed that the roots were not a problem and that the blockage was just a build up of ``solids’’ and paper and that the drain was good as new.
Three months later, the drain backed up again, but this time I used flexi rods with a rubber plunger and gave it a good rodding and cleared it no problem. The drain backs up periodically and out comes the plunger. My question is, why does it keep blocking? if the original camera survey found no cause for concern.

My appreciation and thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
maybe somthing to do with the fall on the pipe and not washing the solids away properly. with waste pipes especially soil ones theres a min and max gradiant for obvioius reasons.

are your drains fairly modern (post 1980) or are they original salt glaze with male and female ends with tarred rope and mortar joints?

do you know how much fall your drains have?

because the problem is underground, seeking a definitive answer can be difficult without actually unearthing them. if there is a 'dip' or that some of the joints have become misaligned, then i'm afraid it's a shovel job.

noseall, you forgot about good old pitch fibre, wonderfull stuff it is.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. The drain is quite new - 1990 -
Judging from other experts I think the pipe has ``bellied''.
Is this a dig up job? Not to worried as I have seperate drains and mains insurance. To be honest I can live with rodding every few months.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back