Red expansion vessel worcester 240 combi

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have found the valve on expansion vessel what do i need to do to put air back in and how will this stop water comeing out of prv
what exactly does the expansion valve do?
how do i fix it?

thanks for the help

Sponsored Links
It is a chamber with a diaphragm inside it, one half is charged with air the other half fills with system water. As the water heats up it expands raising the pressure in the system. Water cannot be compressed but air can so the air side of the expansion vessel compresses to take up the expansion in the hot water. If you have no air in it then the vessel is full of water so it cannot compress, will expand and raise the pressure until the pressure relief valve releases it.

You need whatever you pump up your bicycle tyres with to recharge it, but you need to do it with the heating side drained down.

Sponsored Links
I have put air in expansion vessel to 1 bar. I have changed pressure relief valve to a new one but every time i put heating on water comes out of prv and once cold boiler shows under 1 bar please help dont no what else to try

not sure what you mean by that but if you mean did i turn prv to empty boiler then yes if this is wrong please tell me

well thats what i basically did apart from shut down service valves...
If that doesn't work what do you think the problem is, its everytime heating comes on it looses pressure and goes to under 1 bar and if i top it up white dial goes other 3 bar comes out of prv and im back to normal

I never close the service valves on any combi.... I'd rather refill and inhibit the system than come back and change a leaking valve. Did any water come out of the pressure valve when you pumped it up?

If any water came out of the bicycle tyre valve on the expansion vessel then its knackered, the diaphragm inside is perished. Only solution to that is replace the entire expansion vessel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back