"Red Petrol" does it exist

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've been considering getting a generator lately. I've been looking mainly at Diesel powered units, (assume it's legal to use Red Diesel in a generator), But I've noticed that there are an awefull lot of Petrol powered generators out there.

So the question is: What fuel do you use in a petrol generator without paying the massive transport tax, (that is included in the price at the pump).

As a secondary question. I've never used Red Diesel, so where do you get it? I've never seen it in any petrol station that I've used.

Sponsored Links
you should be able to run 'red' in a generator. Check your local yellow pages for a distributor, it's usually done by small firms who deliver heating oil etc. You have to go and pick it up though. Take a large container 'plastic' with you. 'red' is used in agricultural and construction machinery so a large generator should be fine.

Sorry Tex. You can't buy red petrol you have to use normal pump petrol.

Yes you can use red diesel in a generator, if you are having trouble you will get it from a plant hire depot, marina or canal chandlers. If you are stuck white diesel is OK just dearer.

The reason you see more petrols are because they are lighter,quieter and cheaper to buy. They are also easier to get started after you have run out of fuel and in the winter. Although the newer diesel ones are better.

You dont say how big you are thinking of, but if you mean the normal (around 2000w) used on sites. They only use about a gallon a day unless working flat out.

If you do go for petrol I would suggest a honda. They are dearer, but believe me they are streets ahead of the rest. They last for years.

IF you go for diesel look for electric start and check you can lift it on your own (if needed)

david and julie said:
You dont say how big you are thinking of, but if you mean the normal (around 2000w) used on sites. They only use about a gallon a day unless working flat out.

I'm looking at about 5KW + . It will be for a fairly long term project so portability is not an issue, I'll also be wanting electric start, so hopefully, starting shouldn't be too much of a problem? I'm after one of the silent type, but I'll probably build a bunker for it, to reduce noise to the absolute miniumum, and for added security.

I've noticed that, in this power range, the majority tend to be diesel anyhow. Probably because the benefits that you mention are not as relevant. I was just curious about the tax issue with petrol driven ones.

Since there is no way around this tax problem with petrol, I think that's knocked them on the head completely for me. Being forced to pay tax that isn't due would just be too traumatic for me. :mad:

Sponsored Links
i thought red deisel was for specific purposes like heating
and agricultural and purposes that were approved by
the goverment /vat man :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

and we shouldnt forget free enterprise over the irish border :D :D

big all

From what I gather, red diesel is for any use that doesn't involve the public highways.

Hence farm machinery (seldom on the road), boats ( :LOL: !), generators, heating. Not Range Rovers, for obvious reasons ;)

At that sort of output you would me mad to consider anything but diesel. When I said electric start I was assuming you meant a smaller set, obviously all the bigger ones have it.

Although I wouldn't fancy it petrol (type)generators are also available to run on both propane and I believe natural gas where noise is a real issue.

Although dearer to buy watercooled, as opposed to air, are quieter and probably more suited to enclosing in bunkers.

BTW. years ago (20) we used do the breakdown recovery work for our local ambulance service. They were then using thirsty V6 trannies. The pumps were at the stations and the petrol had green dye in it, to stop it getting nicked by the staff.

BTW although they both run diesels I am not sure that gas oil and red diesel are the same thing. I thought the ratings were different and diesel was cleaner. Masona will probably let us know better on this though.

david and julie said:
They were then using thirsty V6 trannies. The pumps were at the stations and the petrol had green dye in it, to stop it getting nicked by the staff.

Now the ambulance services round here are using those whacking great V8 American ambulances, even thirstier I bet! :LOL: They definitely sound like a petrol V8, not a diesel.

Adam...We can't afford them up north, we make do with renault traffics, as they have rubber mats which are better suited when our whippets P**s on the floor.

AdamW said:
From what I gather, red diesel is for any use that doesn't involve the public highways.

Hence farm machinery (seldom on the road), boats ( :LOL: !), generators, heating. Not Range Rovers, for obvious reasons ;)

aaaahhhh get you know petrol /road fuel duty being about 80%

have you got a russian[red] utillity vehicle like a srevor egnar

big all

david and julie said:
Adam...We can't afford them up north, we make do with renault traffics, as they have rubber mats which are better suited when our whippets P**s on the floor.

Probably depends on the area. I know a Geordie who was very proud that Newcastle were amongst the first to be using them. Apparently they had to redesign the whole ambulance/hospital interface as the new ambulances were too big!

About the whole red diesel/fuel duty issue. Does this mean that if the farmers decided to run a procession of combines and tractors past the Houses of Parliament, for whatever reason, customs and excise could force them to pay duty for the diesel they used whilst they were on the public highways?

"Dear Farmer Giles, we note that on the 5th of September you drove your tractor from your farm to the Houses of Parliament and back. We estimate you burned 50 litres of diesel. Pay us tax, now."

Nah ! We use petrol / TVO .... petrol on the road ... TVO in the field.
Well, at least we start up on petrol !!

Customs & Excise would have to do them at the time, using a fuel testing unit on the roadside. They could not prove it otherwise because the use of white would not show in the tank. As opposed to the other way round.

I believe farmers (and the construction industry) are only supposed to cross the public highway(whilst using red) by the shortest route possible from one field or site to another.

Mind you, no doubt they have to pass the pub/ tesco/ bank or WHY on the way!

The biggest racket must be all the Fast-Trax(big & fast tractors) that are knocking about. Cheap tax, no tacho, no operators licence, no drivers hours regs and sometimes red D too. These are now doing work previously done by haulage firms.

david and julie said:
I am not sure that gas oil and red diesel are the same thing. I thought the ratings were different and diesel was cleaner.
Gas oil & diesel are the same, the American say "gas oil" when we called it "diesel" just the same as gas instead of petrol. The diesel/petrol ratings can change slightly depending what crude oil we buy in at the time.
The Greener diesel is now lower sulphur diesel with 90% less sulphur dioxide and 1/3 less smoke than normal diesel.
None of us know at the refinery what gredients is use in the red dye - top secret ! the same as with Mobil 1 oil which have no oil gredients at all, again top secret.

Sponsored Links
Back