Reducing bulkhead

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just purchased a property at auction to renovate. In the smallest bedroom there is a monstrosity of a boxing in job which apparently is the bulkhead. The boxing in takes over half the room but even if I reduce it the sloping bulk head itself still takes up a considerable amount of the floor surface. Is there anything I can do to change this ?

Thanks
Carbee

Sponsored Links
What is behind it? how big is it? what is currently used for material?

Hard to explain but I'll have a go. If you imagine a rectangle against the wall of 4ft high by 2 ft wide. Then to the left of it another another rectangle of 3ft high by 2 ft wide, forming a step.That is the size of the boxing in. Seems like it's made from hardboard and covered in chipwood. Through the chipwood I can see a diagonal line from the bottom left hand corner of the smaller rectangle through to the tho right hand corner of the second rectangle which I assume is the shape of the bulkhead. I know I can remove the hardboard but that would still leave me with a four foot diagonal bulkhead. taking up most of the width of the bedroom on one side which is only 8 ft long. I don't think I can do anything with it i.e. move it. I may have to incorporate it into some kind of built in wardrobe. Just wondered if anyone else had experienced anything similar.

Sponsored Links
What is behind it (boiler, wall, submarine, tree, water pipes, soil pipe etc)?? Because if there is just air behind it why worry.,.

Maybe post some photos

Uncle Fred built it when he and Auntie Rose came to stay from Gloucester.

no, last I heard she was at a special secure unit at Durham prison.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back