registered keeper is not vehicle driver

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

I have a question,
I am the owner of a car and I have let my son drive and use it.
he has insured the car in his name and motd it.
I do not want to register him as a new keeper as I want to keep it as a 1 owner car.
The v10 shows me as the registered keeper, and now I need to tax the car.
He has insurance in his name will this be a problem when retaxing?
surely I do not need to reregister the car to him ....do I?

Sponsored Links
No, it's not a problem. As long as he can provide insurance cert with the appropriate Reg No. He can get tax.

Thanks for the reply Tex.

Its good to know it is still OK.

Its just that all the rules and regs now that apply, as futile attempts to catch all the illegal drivers that exist....seem a little crazy!

cheers

TexMex said:
No, it's not a problem. As long as he can provide insurance cert with the appropriate Reg No. He can get tax.

no. not strictly true. had problems a few month ago when taxin my car. DVLA ****ed up and didnt change owner details to mine, so it was still registered to previous keeper. i had insurance/MOT docs etc and they wouldnt let me because it wasnt registered to me.

altho if you go with him with ID and proof that its yours, they may allow it

Sponsored Links
How about this for a fabulous bit of interlocking inconsistencies in the law.

Before he died, my Dad was without a driving licence because of his illness.

Without a driving licence, you cannot get insurance.

He still had his car, because he hoped he'd get better, poor old bugger, which other family members used to borrow, so it needed to be taxed.

There was no way that he could do this. He couldn't get insurance, but he didn't need it, and everybody else who drove the car did so on their insurance, not his, so from that POV everything was legal.

The only solution the DVLA could offer was "he'll have to sell the car".

If I were in this situation I would write to DVLA there must be lots of people out there who own the car bt do not drive it.
Come on someone contact DVLA

Thought I would contact DVLA via email...not a good idea.||||||||||

Diyisfun said:
Thought I would contact DVLA via email...not a good idea.||||||||||
Definitely not a good idea for me - they are one of my customers, so emailing abuse and complaints wouldn't go down well, and I can't be *rsed to keep track of a personal webmail account...

Anyway - it's all in the past now, Dad, car and everything...

B. A. S.
I was thinking it would be nice to know if & how it can be done, (not emailing them, but having A N Other as the owner)

The reason for this is that the borrower's insurance only covers him for that vehicle when he is actually in it.

When the borrower leaves the vehicle unattended/parked on the public highway, his insurance won't cover that vehicle. If it then rolls down hill (faulty handbrake?) and destroys a shop full of Van Gogh paintings and Faberge eggs, who is going to cough up?

Insurance is there not just to protect the victims, but also to decrease the liability of anyone who can be deemed "responsible" for an accident. Apparently in Spain, an uninsured driver is automatically assumed to be responsible for a crash with an insured driver, and ends up bearing the full cost even if it wasn't his fault.

Sponsored Links
Back