regs clarification

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
would appreciate if somebody would clarify this for me please. use this as an example;- page 226 regs, where it says 16mm cable rated at 77 amps for ''1 three or four core cable, 3 phase a.c''

is this 77 amps for the whole cable or 77 amps per phase, i.e 241 amps total that the cable can take( presuming balanced load).

cheers.

Sponsored Links
Each conductor can carry 77 Amps ... to quote figures any other way would be nonsensical :)

so a 3 phase appliance taking 150 amps could be wired using swa 4 core 16mm? thats 50 amps per phase and you could protect each phase with a 63 amp bs88?

Sponsored Links
jim23 said:
so a 3 phase appliance taking 150 amps could be wired using swa 4 core 16mm? thats 50 amps per phase and you could protect each phase with a 63 amp bs88?

And if it were ballanced eg a motor a 3core would surfice ;)

Spark123 said:
jim23 said:

And if it were ballanced eg a motor a 3core would surfice ;)

But you would still use a 4 core, as you never know what might go there next ;)

Only on distribution, if it were from a MCC to a motor then there is really no need. I have also known on some distribution systems there to be 415-240v or 415-110v transformers on the end of a long 3phase 3core supply to power ancillaries as the only reasonable explination I can think of it is cheaper than buying a 4core.

jim23 said:

If it's a 3 phase only appliance then the quoted current is normally per phase. You would normally only divide by 3 if the total load is quoted in kW's. If it's quoted in kVA then you use root 3, power factor etc. (I bet someone knows the asci code for root 3 :cry: )

Spark123 said:
I have also known on some distribution systems there to be 415-240v or 415-110v transformers on the end of a long 3phase 3core supply to power ancillaries as the only reasonable explination I can think of it is cheaper than buying a 4core.

Or that some fool originally installed a long run of 3 core, and they then needed a neutral ;)

Nope, the only thing running on 240v is a few sodium lights, 110v for control and the 3phase runs a few whopping great big motors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back