Regulations on rented property (now with pics)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I went to my best friend's housewarming party this evening. A good night was had by all, but during the course of the evening something caught my eye, and my interest in electrics and general nosiness got the better of me. I would now like some advice to pass on to him during the week.

The first thing that leapt out at me was the socket by the fireplace into which his telly and other AV stuff was plugged. It's a surface mounted socket on the skirting board, I'm no expert but it looks to me at least 20 years old and the height (or lack of it) means that the bend of the outgoing flex was a bit too tight for my liking.

Then, as I went through the hallway to the loo, I saw the "thing" next to the meter. I say "thing" quite deliberately because I wouldn't describe it even as a fusebox, let alone a CU. It's branded "memset" - I didn't open it, but I suspect it's one fuse protecting the whole install. If anything, it looks older than the socket in the lounge.

Given the occasion, you'd think I'd have my digital camera with me, but I didn't. I will go back tomorrow and take some pics which I will post here for your comments.

In the meantime, my first question is - Does rented property require the same standard of inspection on the electrics as it does for the gas? Because this house has, at best, a very dated electrical system in need of inspection, and at worst, an antiquated install which is lethally dangerous.

Unfortunately, my friend is question is the naive sort who will say "it's through a letting agent so it must be OK" - so I'd appreciate your initial comments, and more so when I've posted some pics tomorrow.

(as an afterthought, I will also tomorrow try to whip off a ceiling rose and see if there's any earth, though I fear I know exactly what the answer will be. I will also try to ascertain what earthing type the whole house has, but like I said I'm no expert so some pointers on this would be helpful...)

Sponsored Links
The installation was probably carried out to earlier regulations, the regulations are not retrospective. Sockets on skirting boards; and no earth on lighting circuits were acceptable to earlier regs, no need to change here, unless an inspection/test (PIR) flagged up problems in the condition of the wiring etc. I would look out for VIR cable, this is rubber insulated cable last used in the 50's and now considered to be dangerous, if disturbed i.e. the insulation is probably brittle. I assume that an electrical safety certificate was issued, at the change of occupancy.
Jaymack

ninebob said:
...the socket by the fireplace ... surface mounted socket on the skirting board...
Quite a regular sight in installations that have been added-to with little regard for safety and possibly much older than twenty years.

... the "thing" next to the meter... I suspect it's one fuse protecting the whole install. If anything, it looks older than the socket in the lounge.
Probably two rewirable fuses in there - one for sockets, one for lights. In itself this is not necessarily unsafe, but there is probably inadequate earthing and no bonding. And, of course, no RCD protection.

In the meantime, my first question is - Does rented property require the same standard of inspection on the electrics as it does for the gas?

No, there is no such requirement.

Unfortunately, my friend is question is the naive sort who will say "it's through a letting agent so it must be OK"
I guarantee that the letting agent will accept no liability whatsoever and it's doubtful that any form of certification exists.

Almost all rental properties I see have quite appallingly inadequate electrics, largely because the landlord has to quickly get a property on the market to recoup investment and very few people have any idea about electrical standards. ("Nobody's been killed yet, mate, so it must be okay...")

Sponsored Links
I thought the landlord had to have a PIR to say that the elec install was safe....

securespark said:
I thought the landlord had to have a PIR to say that the elec install was safe....

Nope. No requirement at all.

Not a sossinge.

Stuff-all.

Zilch.

Ok then, 2 years later (!) here are those pictures:

(sorry, I forgot - and then that area got filled up with junk. Anyway, he's now moved out of this house so I was able to take the photos once it was cleared out...)

Who wants to comment on this lot (still in service in a rented property, along with other aforementioned stuff like skirting mounted sockets half an inch off the floor)?

Wow, now that really is an old installation, and would never pass a PIR :eek:

How many tails have been stuffed in that meter? :eek:
3, all of them taped together and 2 of them looking very undersized.

9 sockets in the entire (2 bedroom) house - a double in each of kitchen, lounge, dining room, and bedroom 1, and a single in bedroom 2.

Not entirely sure what the grey switch runs to, or how the other circuits are split?

What exactly are those "Memset" boxes? Primitive fuses? What would they look like inside?

It's a primative fuse box. There will probably be more than one fuse in there, possibly one for each cable. It is also looking around the right age to possibly have neutral fuses, which really is not good.

The innards will be made of ceramic. I have a picture of a slightly newer version, which if I remember, I will post tomorrow.

How was the big birthday do anyway?
Sorry I couldn't make it :LOL:

It's a primative fuse box...<snip> I have a picture of a slightly newer version, which if I remember, I will post tomorrow.
Please do, especially the inside which I'm sure will look like no fusebox/CU I've ever seen before!! (how did I guess you might have pics!!?)

How was the big birthday do anyway?
Sorry I couldn't make it :LOL:
Very good - there are photos, none of which will ever make it onto the internet if I have anything to do with it.... :evil:

This is a different MEM CU. Not sure how old it is, but it has VIR tails, so possibly 60 or 70 years old? Certainly not as old as the one in your photo.

IMGP1902-1.jpg

IMGP1900.jpg

I wish now that I'd dared to open the one in James's house just to photograph the inside for posterity - but I must confess I genuinely didn't dare to - what with the housing being metal and my doubts about the general safety of the entire install......

My only hope is that the reason he had to leave the house was that the landlord, and I quote, "had to do some refurbishment works which would have made the current rental figure unsustainable". Number one, a rewire, I'd like to think!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back