1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

removal of garage door

Discussion in 'Building' started by AlwaysBestToAsk, 30 Aug 2021.

1. AlwaysBestToAsk

AlwaysBestToAsk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi all,
    How do i remove the spring on this door assembly ? i can see a socket on the left of the spring but it looks different to any on the videos i've seen, it seems to have an allen key grub screw on the top and bottom and the 4 holes on the sides so am i to put a screwdriver in two of these holes and loosen the grub screws a bit and wind it down that way ? Just conscious of how much tension these things have in them.

Thanks

Attached Files:

Last edited: 30 Aug 2021
  2. Sponsored Links
  3. catlad

catlad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I took one like that off the neighbours 70s garage recently and I just took the angle grinder to the arms that guide the garage door open and close
    ( I did it with the garage door closed )

4. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Closed, is when the spring will be under maximum tension to help lift the weight of the door. Doing it that way, better to cut the arms with the arms in the fully up position - after cutting the door free first and that after lashing the arms down.

5. AlwaysBestToAsk

AlwaysBestToAsk

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Thanks but i have a load of slabs and concrete on the other side of the door which will stop it opening (there's a full skip so not a quick job to move) so i was hoping to leave the door where it is and just remove the spring as that is what's over the top height of the walls? Can i not just un-tension the spring with the door in place ?

6. Harry Bloomfield

Harry Bloomfield

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Those springs are under life threatening tension. What ever method you use, you need to release the tension under very careful control, wearing as a minimum thick clothes, thick gloves and eye protection.

7. Terrywookfit

Terrywookfit

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Plenty of videos of this on net.

8. Sponsored Links