Remove old wooden flooring or not?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In our bungalow which was build around 1962 I found sort of a wooden flooring underneath the carpet in the 2 bedrooms, hallway and lounge.
The kitchen has vinyl flooring glued on top of a concrete floor. As I'm currently refurbishing one of the bedrooms I was wondering if it would be wise to take the wooden floor out completely as it seems to be made up out of dark brown wooden blocks with a dimension of 14x4.5cm and 1cm thickness. There's sort of a black very thin sticky underlay underneath the wooden blocks on top of the concrete.
I would then just have an underlay on the concrete and have the new carpet installed on top of that.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! ;)

Sponsored Links
The black 'underlayment' is bitumen, a hell of a job to get rid off!
The brown wood blocks in the dimension you mentioned could be Rhodesian Teak, Mahogany or Merbau solid parquet, you don't want to know what people are paying these days to have that ;)
If it's still sound I suggest you leave it as it is, it will keep it's value definitely.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back